Males bullying Young Female

Haydog03

Crowing
Aug 24, 2018
West Virginia
Hi! I have two males, Herc and Des (Pekin and Cayuga) who are very kind. I thought. They are super nice to Pato and Sera the other females. However, Sasha is a Cayuga/Pekin mix and extremely small. She is the smallest duck. She has bald spots under her wings due to the males. I watch them grab her neck, and chase her around. I feel awful and even started to bring her inside to be an inside duck. She’s beautiful so I wouldn’t mind having her run around, the dogs have hung around her so maybe it’d work? I’d really like to find a way to let her stay with the other ducks, though. Their pen is small-ish. They get free run into the yard which is huge but lately it’s been storming so they haven’t. Their pen is small but has lots of hiding places for her. She has this spot where the males can’t reach and we put bedding and treats there just for her. They won’t let her drink (again we give her water separate) but it’s becoming sad to watch. If she quacks they’ll stop biting her but keep chasing. I was going to try to teach them like a dog that hurting her is bad but I don’t know if you can train a duck. I don’t know why they are only like this to Sasha. Sasha and Sera are sisters and have been with them since the beginning. I just don’t understand why they only bully Sasha. Will they grow out of it? Should we separate them? Why are they hurting her? :he

How many ducks do you have? You could make a seperate section with a small opening that only she can get through. This way she can have safety and still hang out a but.
Thanks for replying! :) I have five ducks. Two males to three females. Not great numbers but we’ve never had a problem until now. :( She has places to escape, thankfully! She is the only one that flies so she has ledges up top only she can get to. I just wish there was a way to stop the males from being so mean to her. If they were mean to all the females I’d just separate but I’m so confused on why they target her and only her. I’ve tried swatting at the males when they bite at her but it startled them all including Sasha which just caused a huge frenzy of flapping wings and quacking so training them won’t work. I really love them all and just wish there was a way to make them all get along. I don’t think they want to kill her, they stop if she cries out instead of continuing. If I thought they’d kill her I’d bring her inside! I just feel so bad for her. I hope they get nicer in the summer! :fl

I have not realy worked with drakes but i hear they can pick favorites. You could put the drakes in jail, they might cool off after spring is over, i think its mating season?
Drake jail, haha! I’ll try it! I’d try anything at this point. We have a pen already separate that we use when one gets sick. Sorta like a duck hospital, I could convert it to a jail! I hope after this season they’re nicer to her! :fl

Back
Top Bottom