Mallard and/or Pekin to free range on 10 acres with pond and creek?

sunscape

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
We are in Alabama. We are wanting to get ducks for the pond and for pets. We want them to roam on their own without having to put them up at night. I will make a shelter. We are going to get mallards, but I would like to get a couple of Pekins because I like them and they seem to have good personalities (from what I have read online), but I'm not sure if this is a good idea given that they can't fly. Any advice would be great. I was thinking 2 pekins babies and 4-5 mallards. Thanks for the help. I'm trying to seek local advice as well, but just want to make the right choices.

Oops...I did not mean we will throw the babies out there. I meant after we raise them to adults will both breeds be okay at night, or do the pekins have to have more protection. I know after raising them we would not want anything to happen to them. I know there is chance some mallards may leave as well.

If they are not in a predator proof shelter from when it starts getting dark to daylight, it is almost certain that they will be taken by a predator. Especially the pekins. They don't move too fast and they don't fly. The mallards may fly off, but they too, could be grabbed by something. If you start doing something like giving them peas at the time you want to pen them up securely for the night, it is pretty easy. Once they know that that is "pea time", you won't have to chase them, they will be looking for you and be easy to pen up for the night.

Back
Top Bottom