Mallard babies pic TWO MORE BABIES!!!

Our ducks love to be up on the deck. The three steps up are no problem, but stepping down is bothersome. This morning Aramis figured out she could FLY down instead of whacking her bill on each step. Surprise! Her eyes got so big you'd think she swallowed a swallow.

To remember that they looked like your little babies only eight short weeks ago is a little amazing.

Here's the whole bunch
love.gif

The last two hatched on the 28th. I put them out in a pen for awhile today. The ones that are half way sitting down are the newest babies.Oh yeah, the tallest one was the baby that had gotten hurt.Doing much better now.
100_3003.jpg

It's amazing how fast they have grown, just in a few days..
When do they get their oil glands? It's been a few yrs. since I've had ducks, can't remember.
old.gif

Just dying to get them in their pool.

Quote:
"Once they are fully feathered, about 30-45 days after birth, they are safe to be in water without their mother." -from http://www.liveducks.com/care.html. They even LOOK full grown in a month or so, but they won't start laying until the chickens do (20-24 weeks.)

It's funny how they know just what to do when they encounter their first mud puddle, too. I thought they might need a little introduction, but Oh No. They went straight for it, screaming, "MUD PUUDDLLE!! mudpuddle mupuddle mudpuddle yeah yeah yeah..." Cracked me up. The little chickens went over, too, because they flock with the ducks. It was a cartoon I wish I could have filmed. The chicks walked into the puddle and looked down and back up at the ducks several times and just couldn't seem to see what was so bloody interesting about it. After a week of hanging out with the ducks near the mud, they gave up and stopped getting their legs muddy. "Love is" accepting the quirks and oddities of those we love even if we just don't get it, isn't it?

This last week, at 8 weeks old, the ducks graduated to a plastic tub of water (changed twice daily) because their pond isn't ready yet. Again, no lessons were necessary. This is better than TV any day! Because the blue plastic is clear we could see their little feets paddling like the devil the first few times they clambered into it. Then once they got used to it, turns out they hang their feet down loosely. Really cool. Also – they really need a ramp to get in and out of the water – for safety.

kybukabu, thanks for the link & info.
I have been spending alot of time with the duckies. They follow me around,so sweet. They do the "crazy duck thing" just get up & start running around all over the pen. You're right better than TV !
When I had ducks before, when they were ready for their pool I'd go buy them little shiners... they would go underwater in circles trying to get the shiners
lau.gif

Quote:
What are shiners? Is it like when a blonde says "ooh, shi-ney..."? I put blueberries in the water the other day (they float) and the duckies about lost their minds. It was so cool.

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom