Mallard drake?

The Duck Dad

Songster
Nov 7, 2020
Oconomowoc Wisconsin
so i have two mallards and they are both around 2 1/2 months old. I can't tell if they are both hens or if one is a drake. I was hoping some of you could help. Thanks! S1960003.JPG S1960007.JPG S1960005.JPG S1960006.JPG The two pics on the top think is a drake and the two pics on the bottom I think is a hen

Those look like my Mallard Hens and if they are quacking then they are Hens. Some are just quieter than others. Darker bills are almost always Hens and lighter olive color ones are almost always Drakes. At least that's how mine have turned out.

I can tell you the second picture is a hen . The bottom photo the beak says drake . Does it have curled feathers in the middle of it's tail ? In most cases the beak on mallard drakes are all green , with the hen tan on the sides . The sex feathers on drakes are in the middle of the tail, close to the oil gland usually they have two . Does this help any ?

Last edited:
I can tell you the second picture is a hen . The bottom photo the beak says drake does it have a curled feathers in the middle of it's tail ? In most cases the beak on mallard drakes are all green , with the hen tan on the sides . The sex feathers on drakes are in the middle of the tail, close to the oil gland usually they have two . Does this help any ?
neither of the ducks have curls

Back
Top Bottom