Mallard ducklings question

They were all fine yesterday. I don't separate them because it is a very large area that they are in. The rest of the ducklings are fine. The area is about a 20' x 8' pen. It wouldn't explain the seizure that the one had today. I'm wondering if the one I found this morning (a yellow one) didn't have a seizure...it's legs were sprawled out.

I am so sorry! :hugs

They were fine yesterday? Do you separate mama and babies from the drake at night? Some drakes are fine with babies, some are not... and some are good with them during the day when they have space and run around, but have issues when confined close at night... could he have done some rough poking and *not really intentionally* caused some injury?

They were all fine yesterday. I don't separate them because it is a very large area that they are in. The rest of the ducklings are fine. The area is about a 20' x 8' pen. It wouldn't explain the seizure that the one had today. I'm wondering if the one I found this morning (a yellow one) didn't have a seizure...it's legs were sprawled out.
Seizures are often just part of the dying process. :(

Yes it was sad. I did everything I could to keep it alive... I even went to tsc and some chicken saver and gnc and got some brewers yeast. I know it wasn't standing either but seemed like it was trying to hang on. Then all of a sudden I watched it have a seizure..then I knew it was a goner. Better now than when older. I have never had that happen to any of my poultry before..

But he may be wanting to sleep near mama and trying to push the babies away at night... I would at least try some observing if possible in the evenings, or just settingva ring of poultry wire around her and her babies, just to be safe...

Seizures are often just part of the dying process. :(

Yup, unfortunately...

Any kind of trauma, head or unseen internal, could cause them too...

Good I idea..I can do that.

But he may be wanting to sleep near mama and trying to push the babies away at night... I would at least try some observing if possible in the evenings, or just settingva ring of poultry wire around her and her babies, just to be safe...

Yup, unfortunately...

Actually I can put HIM out. I kept him separate when she was brooding...I will take him out of the pen. I thought that they would be happier together after the chicks were born.

Yup, unfortunately...

went and took him out. He didn't seem to care LOL when the babies get bigger they will be out free ranging with the rest of the poultry until they are sold.

Actually I can put HIM out. I kept him separate when she was brooding...I will take him out of the pen. I thought that they would be happier together after the chicks were born.

Some drakes are great fathers, just some tend to be *jealous* of any others closer to their mate than them...

went and took him out. He didn't seem to care LOL when the babies get bigger they will be out free ranging with the rest of the poultry until they are sold.

Good deal... better to be safe than sorry, imo... :)

Back
Top Bottom