Mallard ducklings question

Pics
My pekin has a mate and he is a horn dog. I have had to literally go over him and pick him up, interrupting his deed and tell him "no this is not for you"... LOL My muscovy males see so gentlemenly. Needless to say the pair of pekins are on the other side with the chickens far far away from other ducks...

Unfortunately I do, lol. Have one very randy Pekin drake that is forever chasing the Muscovy hens.

My pekin has a mate and he is a horn dog. I have had to literally go over him and pick him up, interrupting his deed and tell him "no this is not for you"... LOL My muscovy males see so gentlemenly. Needless to say the pair of pekins are on the other side with the chickens far far away from other ducks...

Some just don't handle the hormone rushes as well as others, lol... just be careful he doesn't breed your chickens...

No worries. I'd like to forget I have them. :D Can make selling ducklings or eggs difficult.

But they're cute! And I do agree... unless one doesn't have ethics... someone near me was always selling Swede/Muscovy crosses, but never mentioned they were mules... :(

That's why I keep several roosters on the premises. They protect their girls. I have never seen my pekin go after any hens and I had 25 (chickens) at one time. The roo keeps guards. I love roosters. Actually I've never seen any thing go after what they aren't supposed to LOL I heard Guinea fowl males go after chickens...but they don't...every one behaves :) I'm out there several times a day making sure everything is ok.

Some just don't handle the hormone rushes as well as others, lol... just be careful he doesn't breed your chickens...

But they're cute! And I do agree... unless one doesn't have ethics... someone near me was always selling Swede/Muscovy crosses, but never mentioned they were mules... :(

A few years ago I sold a bunch of ducklings to someone. They asked if I had Muscovy eggs, and I did, so I sold them a bunch from several nests that were one to two weeks hen incubated for $1 each. They later reported that one that hatched and it was not Muscovy. Was it a Mule, or was it one of my mutt quackers? Either was possible since often they lay eggs in the same nests. I sure wasn't trying to rip her off, lol.

Muscovy eggs and mallard eggs are different sizes (slightly)? I know a lot of people have chickens and they don't have roosters. My experience and watching these guys, they provide an invaluable asset to a farm. I don't mind the noise as everybody is away from the house on the 1/2 acre so it's hard to hear all the guineas and roos.

It's hard selling eggs from a farm. People are so picky and quick to point fingers. If someone did that do me I'd take care of it. If someone told me some of the eggs in a dozen weren't right, I'd give them a free dozen.

A few years ago I sold a bunch of ducklings to someone. They asked if I had Muscovy eggs, and I did, so I sold them a bunch from several nests that were one to two weeks hen incubated for $1 each. They later reported that one that hatched and it was not Muscovy. Was it a Mule, or was it one of my mutt quackers? Either was possible since often they lay eggs in the same nests. I sure wasn't trying to rip her off, lol.

That's very nice of you. Since the aviary flu scare went away, people here have stopped buying farm eggs... If I get too many, I scramble them and feed them back to the chickens and ducks...free food LOL I have a black australorp brooding, two muscovy hens brooding, hatched two more guineas (since I can't get them to brood), have my large brown egg layer's egg in a 3 egg incubator. I want another chick chick who lays a large egg... the Roo is a RIR...and she is a RIR sexlink, can't remember her breed..excellent layer.

I actually give all my eggs away...Just a hobby to me...I keep incubating my Duck eggs ... 14 in one incubator and 3 in the other...Plus my Call is setting....

Back
Top Bottom