MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
We went into the feed store today to pick up our Four Cayuga ducklings 3 girls and a drake... When the store called this morning they said my drake was DOA :'( so.....we picked up a Mallard drake! Boy am I glad we did! He is super super sweet and cuddly and cute as a button! I do however know basically nothing about Mallards! Please any advice would be helpful... We live in the city and we are first time duck owners!

Mallards can fly so Wing clipping is something you might consider. Everyone has different opinions depending on their environment.Some people who free range don't clip because they want their ducks to be able to get away from danger if a predator attacks. Because I live in the city, near busy streets and freeways, I choose to clip their wings, mainly for their own safety.

I also take mine to the beach and to parks, and if an unleashed dog or child comes running up and spooks them, its easier and safer for me to swoop up three ducks instead of chasing down three frantic ones.

Think about how your ducks will be living and decide if winging clipping is for you. Whatever you choose, the process is painless and easy. I just watched a bunch of videos on youtube and asked my boyfriend to hold the duck while i clip.

Here are my mallards around 6 months old. You can see their flight feathers

Here are two diagrams about wing clipping. Someone posted them years ago, I believe it was Celtic Oaks farms, but forgive
me if I'm citing the wrong person.

Mallards can fly so Wing clipping is something you might consider. Everyone has different opinions depending on their environment.Some people who free range don't clip because they want their ducks to be able to get away from danger if a predator attacks. Because I live in the city, near busy streets and freeways, I choose to clip their wings, mainly for their own safety. I also take mine to the beach and to parks, and if an unleashed dog or child comes running up and spooks them, its easier and safer for me to swoop up three ducks instead of chasing down three frantic ones. Think about how your ducks will be living and decide if winging clipping is for you. Whatever you choose, the process is painless and easy. I just watched a bunch of videos on youtube and asked my boyfriend to hold the duck while i clip. Here are my mallards around 6 months old. You can see their flight feathers Here are two diagrams about wing clipping. Someone posted them years ago, I believe it was Celtic Oaks farms, but forgive me if I'm citing the wrong person.
Thanks for this helpful info! I live in the city as well so will probably clip them...I wonder if he will try to fly since all 6 of his pals can't? From the research I've done Cayugas and Anconas can't fly because they are to top heavy... Hopefully little Felix will want to stay home and not fly :) Btw your ducks are cuties!

Last edited:
Thanks for this helpful info! I live in the city as well so will probably clip them...I wonder if he will try to fly since all 6 of his pals can't? From the research I've done Cayugas and Anconas can't fly because they are to top heavy... Hopefully little Felix will want to stay home and not fly
smile.png

Btw your ducks are cuties!

My little buddies are two years old. They were raised inside the house with me for the first year and basically never left my side. We have a very strong bond, but I can tell you that when ever wild mallards fly over or come to visit, they try their hardest to follow and fly away too. Its just instinct I guess. One of my girls actually ended up on the roof a few weeks ago, I waited too long to clip. That was a nightmare trying to get here down!

My little buddies are two years old. They were raised inside the house with me for the first year and basically never left my side. We have a very strong bond, but I can tell you that when ever wild mallards fly over or come to visit, they try their hardest to follow and fly away too. Its just instinct I guess. One of my girls actually ended up on the roof a few weeks ago, I waited too long to clip. That was a nightmare trying to get here down! 

I may be messaging you if I have more questions if you don't mind! I am wondering my mallard has a small reddish tip on his bill... Is that something to worry about?

Thanks for this helpful info! I live in the city as well so will probably clip them...I wonder if he will try to fly since all 6 of his pals can't? From the research I've done Cayugas and Anconas can't fly because they are to top heavy... Hopefully little Felix will want to stay home and not fly
smile.png

Btw your ducks are cuties!
A few years ago, when I ended up with only one mallard, he did eventually fly off...I think he was lonely and circumstances at the time prevented me from getting him friends. I now have five mallards, but only 4 can fly - poor Bullwinkle is too fat to get far off the ground, lol - and they do fly around sometimes, but never far. I don't even think I've seen them do a lap around the house in months, and only one ever even did that. They'll fly a few feet off the ground to catch up with each other or something, but that's about it. Or if a neighbor dog comes too close.

A few years ago, when I ended up with only one mallard, he did eventually fly off...I think he was lonely and circumstances at the time prevented me from getting him friends. I now have five mallards, but only 4 can fly - poor Bullwinkle is too fat to get far off the ground, lol - and they do fly around sometimes, but never far. I don't even think I've seen them do a lap around the house in months, and only one ever even did that. They'll fly a few feet off the ground to catch up with each other or something, but that's about it. Or if a neighbor dog comes too close. 

I'm hoping that he won't get lonely with 6 other ducks :) I appreciate the input! I will be sure to get his wings clipped so he will stay home!

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to help my mallard drake with his plumage? He's still in twilight plumage. I only got to see him with a green head for about a month before he changed to twilight plumage and he never changed back. :( He just turned a year old last week. So, I don't have a whole lot of experience other than this first year. I've read and have been told it could be low testosterone or an injury. Besides an avian vet (there isn't one near me that I know of), does anyone have any suggestions as to (1) what might be the cause and (2) what I can do to help him, if anything?

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to help my mallard drake with his plumage? He's still in twilight plumage. I only got to see him with a green head for about a month before he changed to twilight plumage and he never changed back. :( He just turned a year old last week. So, I don't have a whole lot of experience other than this first year. I've read and have been told it could be low testosterone or an injury. Besides an avian vet (there isn't one near me that I know of), does anyone have any suggestions as to (1) what might be the cause and (2) what I can do to help him, if anything?
Do you have any female mallards?I know that females will grow a drake feather if there aren't any boys around so I don't see why he wouldn't do the same in reverse. Though I am most likely tooootally wrong.

Back
Top Bottom