Mallard?

You can go to Metzer's Hatchery and they have an excellent video there to watch on sexing ducklings. But you want to be extremely careful -- if not done properly, you can injure the duckling.

Another option for you might be to visit your State Thread, and find an experienced person locally who could help you out. That is what I personally would do.

Last edited:
I wish I could convince my husband to let me have two... we practice attached parenting, so now I do attached ducking... she has her travel box were she angs out where ever I am and I bring her to work... this wont last forever but I have 16 chickens that are free range so hopefully she will enjoy their company... my dog has taken a liking to her, maybe they will be pals?
I am still working on my husband, and a few people told him that she will be fine... we will see.

Your duckling doesn't look pure mallard. Perhaps a gray Indian runner or a mix.

No, you don't need a pond or any type of water, though they will be happy with any kind of bath you can provide.

I would get two or, at least, give him a mirror to make him think there's other ducklings around.

Last edited:
Good news! I got her a buddy! I normally don't like the saying "easier to ask for forgiveness then permission" but it worked out in this case ;) I will take pics soon. Thank you everyone for not being as harsh as you could have been. I am in love with them and truly want the best I can give them :) but now I will have to figure out what kinda of girl I have ... (well I hope they are girls I dont want to hurt them so ill wait til they grow to find out for sure)

and about drakes mating with hens. Does this mean that I will have to keep them seperated or less likely to happen if he has a duck to "doodle" the hens will notbe a problem?

[

Meet "chicken" and "mushi"

Lol this is what a two and four year old comes up with!

another pic because I am a little obsessed. ...

Back
Top Bottom