Mallards or Rouens?

hannuh_montana

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
So my ducks were 7 weeks old on Tuesday (6/2). We got them at Tractor Supply as "mallards", but someone mentioned to me that they might actually be Rouens. What are the differences, and what do you think based on the pictures? Is TSC known for selling ducks labeled as the wrong breed or is it safe to assume they're what they say they are? Their back toes are not clipped, but we live in a very rural area and other people I know have gotten TSC mallards in the past without being clipped, so I don't think I can use that as a determining factor. They're about 3.7 pounds right now but haven't really changed much in growth the past 2 weeks as far as I can tell.

Also, based on their sounds, I think we have 1 male and 2 females. Is it too soon for a male to be developing a drake curl? (pictures attached) I thought it was early, but the one we think is male (still only peeps) definitely is starting to curl where the others aren't. 'He' also has slightly iridescent feathers in his tail area that I've noticed in the sun, where the other 2 have the brown detailed feathers that are all-over. I've attached some pictures of the iridescence but it's really faint and I can only see it in the right sunlight. (as ducklings, he's the one with only 1 eye line and a spot)

(Sorry for attaching so many pictures. I was hoping more would help since they've grown so much)

Attachments

• BeakColors.jpg
    BeakColors.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 35
  • BeakColors_FacialMarkings.jpg
    BeakColors_FacialMarkings.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 27
  • BeakColors2.jpg
    BeakColors2.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 24
  • BeakColors3.PNG
    BeakColors3.PNG
    582.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DrakeCurl.PNG
    DrakeCurl.PNG
    470.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DrakeCurl2.PNG
    DrakeCurl2.PNG
    424.8 KB · Views: 23
  • FiveWeeksOld.PNG
    FiveWeeksOld.PNG
    589 KB · Views: 21
  • FiveWeeksOld2.PNG
    FiveWeeksOld2.PNG
    673.2 KB · Views: 22
  • FourWeeksOld.PNG
    FourWeeksOld.PNG
    722.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IridescentTail.PNG
    IridescentTail.PNG
    462.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IridescentTail2.PNG
    IridescentTail2.PNG
    697.2 KB · Views: 17
  • OneWeekOld.PNG
    OneWeekOld.PNG
    582.9 KB · Views: 18
  • OneWeekOld2.PNG
    OneWeekOld2.PNG
    515.6 KB · Views: 18
  • SevenWeeksOld_Waterbottle.jpg
    SevenWeeksOld_Waterbottle.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 18
  • SevenWeeksOld_Waterbottle2.jpg
    SevenWeeksOld_Waterbottle2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • SevenWeeksOld_Waterbottle3.jpg
    SevenWeeksOld_Waterbottle3.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 15
  • SevenWeeksOld_Waterbottle4.jpg
    SevenWeeksOld_Waterbottle4.jpg
    916.2 KB · Views: 15
  • SixWeeksOld.jpg
    SixWeeksOld.jpg
    934.1 KB · Views: 16
  • SixWeeksOld2.jpg
    SixWeeksOld2.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 16
  • SixWeeksOld3.jpg
    SixWeeksOld3.jpg
    701.8 KB · Views: 15
  • SixWeeksOld4.jpg
    SixWeeksOld4.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 15
  • SixWeeksOld5.jpg
    SixWeeksOld5.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 14
  • SixWeeksOld6.jpg
    SixWeeksOld6.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 11
  • SixWeeksOld7.jpg
    SixWeeksOld7.jpg
    733.8 KB · Views: 12
  • ThreeWeeksOld.PNG
    ThreeWeeksOld.PNG
    663.8 KB · Views: 13
  • ThreeWeeksOld2.PNG
    ThreeWeeksOld2.PNG
    654.4 KB · Views: 12
  • TwoDaysOld.PNG
    TwoDaysOld.PNG
    516.4 KB · Views: 12
  • TwoDaysOld2.PNG
    TwoDaysOld2.PNG
    530.4 KB · Views: 12
  • TwoWeeksOld.PNG
    TwoWeeksOld.PNG
    605.8 KB · Views: 11
  • TwoWeeksOld2.PNG
    TwoWeeksOld2.PNG
    593.9 KB · Views: 11
  • TwoWeeksOld3.PNG
    TwoWeeksOld3.PNG
    802.9 KB · Views: 12
I agree, they are probably Rouen. Rouens are a large breed and will be anywhere from 6-9lbs with the males being larger. Mallards are normally around 2-3lbs so considerably smaller. All Mallard Ducklings hatched domestically are required to be identified per US Fish and Wildlife regulations. An easy way to identify them is they will have a back toe removed upon hatch to identify them as domestically hatched. What precious webbies you have there! :love

I agree, they are probably Rouen. Rouens are a large breed and will be anywhere from 6-9lbs with the males being larger. Mallards are normally around 2-3lbs so considerably smaller. All Mallard Ducklings hatched domestically are required to be identified per US Fish and Wildlife regulations. An easy way to identify them is they will have a back toe removed upon hatch to identify them as domestically hatched. What precious webbies you have there! :love
I'm thinking probably Rouen as well, but other people in my area have had mallards from TSC that didn't have their toe removed, so I wasn't sure if I could rely on that. And size wise, these are my first ducks so I don't have anything to compare them to. I was thinking they were mostly fully grown since they're 7 weeks old, but is that not the case?

I'm thinking probably Rouen as well, but other people in my area have had mallards from TSC that didn't have their toe removed, so I wasn't sure if I could rely on that. And size wise, these are my first ducks so I don't have anything to compare them to. I was thinking they were mostly fully grown since they're 7 weeks old, but is that not the case?
The back toe being removed is a regulation thing so if they come from a hatchery, it will be removed. Otherwise, I would think they could get in trouble and it affect their business. It isn't both back toes either. It is just 1. They will have a nub back there, just no nail, and the other foot will be normal. If they come from someone locally it could probably be different. :confused:
The size that I mentioned is an estimate and can always vary. It will give you a ballpark figure. If they are about 4lbs now, the females may gain another 1lb to 1 1/2lb. If you have a male, he will probably get 1lb to 1 1/2lb bigger than the females. I don't know how much mine weigh. Again, is a ballpark because it will depend on what they're fed as well as their environment and how much exercise they get. I don't know the age at which you would consider them full grown.

Back
Top Bottom