Mama Duck Attacked!!

They are gorgeous! You did a great job with these guys and I hope the best future for you and the quad
wink.png

Oh, I LOVE the video! I think a rooster wants a little attention or something.
lol.png

I love the way you talk to your ducks, it makes me feel a little less crazy for doing so too! Such a happy story!

Quote:
I sound like a kid when on the phone or Video...and I speak like that to my babies. The little runners I go "Hey babies hey babies, come on babies, I got your yummies guys...come on..." They come up and eat at my feet or out of my hands and they quack and talk at me. the little runners are extremely funny, they will quirk their heads to the side as I talk to them, and then haul but to me for their treats. they've learned that word - lol. I sound like an idiot - but they don't care!
yippiechickie.gif

My miracle babies have been moved from their shed to the fenced off rooster run area where their mama and papa lived and where they got their start! Full circle! Eventually they'll be put in the big area with the other ducks, including papa duck, geese, goats and a few roosters.

I *think* I got two boys and two girls but only time will tell. I need to listen for that QUACK!

Marci

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, I didn't want to say anything but since you asked, we had put them in a partitioned area of the chicken run where their papa and mama duck lived for years and where they were laid. They are full sized ducks now. However, a few weeks ago, within a two week period, something managed to dig into the area and kill and drag off two of the four ducks. We don't know what it was and there were no feathers or signs of a struggle. In fact, it took us awhile to find where this animal had gotten in.

So we moved the remaining two ducks in with the 'gang' of geese, ducks, roosters and goats and they are doing well, establishing their 'pecking order' and getting used to the gang and visa versa. Safety in numbers? We put a animal trap cage out to try and trap the coon or skunk or fox or whatever it is that managed to take our ducks without a struggle or evidence.

Of course I am VERY sad that this happened ... but the entire experience of raising them was wonderful and exciting for me and I will treasure it forever. Life in the country can be harsh and wild animals just want to eat and survive, too. We cannot foresee every possibility no matter how careful we are. Hopefully the two remaining duckies, which I think are both girls, will find a mate with one of the three male white pekin ducks we have since their papa has mated with the one girl of that bunch and she is already laying eggs! Will be exciting to see what ducks come from the Blue Suede papa and white pekin mama!

Back
Top Bottom