1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. MamaDoolittle

MamaDoolittle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    West Michigan
    MHP all warming up as I am off to pick up my babies! Will post pictures later. So excited![​IMG]

2. LV Poultry

LV Poultry New Egg

Oct 8, 2014
    Hi all![​IMG]

Love this thread, great ideas, picked up two XL Sunbeam pads off of ebay and can't wait to try this....I haven't read all the way through (yet) but wanted to ask if anyone has used hay instead of the straw? I have a very hard time finding it in my area and would like to not have to travel an hour or more to get some......

Also, how about a frame type (short) box to hold the wire with sand in the frame box? I love using sand or PDZ as it is easy to clean. (I can just sift through it)

Thanks

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I always use hay. [​IMG]

4. LV Poultry

LV Poultry New Egg

Oct 8, 2014
    Thank you [​IMG]

5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    So I have a hatch due Thursday and I'm all set to try mama heating pad. I have Amazon prime, so I get 2 day shipping. I don't need a very big pad, my cave is only 12x15. How do I know which heating pads don't have auto shut off??? I have a heating pad I use and it will just automaically shut off after a few hrs without warning. So how do I know which on to buy? Any links greatly appreciated!!

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    This is the link to the one I got from Amazon. It's the Sunbeam x-Press Heat. There is a smaller version available as well, but I don't have the link for that one. I got my smaller one at Walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-2013-...kmr1&keywords=Sunbeam+x-tra+large+heating+pad

You want to see this on the control...

[​IMG]
    See where there's a button to turn the "auto off" feature off and then where the indicator light tells you that's in Stay On mode? That's the one.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thanks, Bee! You are a gem!

1 person likes this.
  9. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thank you!! I've been worrying about it shutting off at night. I'm going to look for the smaller one right now. I'm really excited to try this. I've been saying it for months and then hatch time comes and I just use the light because I already have it. But since it's my last hatch of the year I promised myself I'd try it!
    Thank you. I'm going to run down to Walmart as soon as my son wakes up from his nap. If they don't have it, I will order it online when I get home!

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Photos...we demand photos! I kinda consider them like dues for joining the Mama Heating Pad Brigade! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by