Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Ok I promise! I posted a few months ago because I found this U-shaped metal grate and it was the perfect frame for the cave. I cleaned it and spray painted it back in June. But got lazy and didn't get the heating pad. So I'm off to Walmart for press & seal and the pad. I'll definitely post pics when it's all set up!! I'm having a hard time getting my juveniles to go out to the coop without running an extension cord & light out there. I think this will solve that!

2. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    Great idea! Nice setup!

3. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Walmart had the right one!! I'll be setting it up today, pictures will follow! Thanks for the help!

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You are so very welcome. Don't forget to share the photos!

5. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Quick question...do you wrap the towel around the heating pad all the way and then wrap in press and seal? Or just cover the press and seal over the towel and lay the towel over the heating pad, so the bottom of the heating pad is uncovered and making contact with the frame?

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You might try a pillow case so the covering over the heating pad is as thin as you can get it so you get better heat transfer. Unless, of course, you used paper thin towels like Miss Blooie did. [​IMG]

7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    And boy, those towels were paper thin - when I hung the on the clothesline I could see the neighbor's house through them! [​IMG] What I did, RubyNala97, was cover the towel in Press 'n Seal - just the top and over the fringes and frays on the edges. I just draped the heating pad over the wire frame, then draped the towel down over it, tucking the excess just under the edge of the frame. Bee does it differently - and I'm beginning to think better - by tucking the entire pad covered frame inside a flannel pillowcase. She uses bungie cords to hold it in place. She's been doing this method longer than I have and it's worked very well for her. A couple of people have had chicks get caught up in the inside of the wire frame doing it my way. So it's up to you. I'll see if I can find her post with the photo of how she does hers. Be right back.

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. MamaDoolittle

MamaDoolittle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    West Michigan
    Success! We all made it through the first night and it was chilly and rainy. My babies were warm an toasty in their MHP cave. I am happy to report that they are coming out to drink and eat and then snuggling back in. And a promised pictures!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Louise is the Buff Orpington and Harriet is a Golden Buff/Comet.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  10. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Very helpful! As I think my frame is too high. I have a thermometer under the cave and it's only reading 88!! What temps are you getting under there? Here's a pic. Do you think it's too high?[​IMG]
    I haven't finished wrapping or covering it. Still in test mode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by