Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Fuzzymilo

Fuzzymilo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2015
    SoCal
    Hi all. We just finished day three with the mama heat pad set up. I love it! My eight new chicks even tucked themselves in tonight.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. marcyflock

marcyflock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    Such a cute picture!!

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    That picture say it all, Fuzzymilo! Love it!

I wrote an article recently on brooding chicks outdoors. I believe I submitted it for consideration on August 16th or right around there. It's had 10,000 views already - 10,000 in just over 2 weeks. I think that says pretty plainly that people are looking for better ways to successfully brood chicks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fuzzymilo

Fuzzymilo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2015
    SoCal
    I'm loving brooding my chicks out in the coop. I've never done this before but it's really nice that the chicks are already out in the coop getting used to their home.

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Posted Here at BYC ? cant wait to read it.

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yep, there's a link to it in my signature, Deb, and it was featured on the banner for a week or so.

7. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    [​IMG]I'm still filled with awe over how advanced these MHP/outdoor brooded chicks are. Here are these three newest chicks of mine, just turned four weeks old this week, and they are not only going into the coop all on their own, navigating the plastic door flaps, but they were roosting by the second night.

That chick on the right is a cockerel, by the way. MPC seems to have a policy of forcing roosters on their customers with every order whether they want them or not.

The night before they turned four weeks old, I moved them and their MHP cave into the coop with twelve adult hens. I used a flashlight to coax them in the first two nights. But the second night, I removed the MHP cave, and provided three different sized perches for them. They roosted that night and each night since.

There is zero work in raising chicks this way! And you end up with chicks that are oozing with so much self confidence that they just automatically seem to know exactly what they're supposed to do.

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    It is remarkable, isn't it? The chicks I raised this way were miles ahead of the chicks I raised last year in the house with the <shudder> heat lamp. And now those fuzzy little chicks are all laying! Wasn't it yesterday when I was calling them the "Littles" and the "Tinys"?

Did you catch the post where I said that I'd mentioned your portal system and suggested that you write an article for BYC about it?

9. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I did catch it, Blooie. My sitting-down-to-write time is waiting until I can squeeze every last outdoor working minute out of summer. You know how that is, I know.

I'll probably do a thread over on Managing your Flock forum.

10. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Let us know I am interested in your views

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by