Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. MamaDoolittle

MamaDoolittle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    West Michigan
    Two weeks in and my babies are doing great! I have raised MHP and lowered the temp to 4 as they are growing so fast and spending lots of time on top of her. I have only raised 1 other batch of chicks the "other" way, but these babies are so much more self-confident. They explore with the big girls and then come running back to me when it's too much during supervised outings. [​IMG]Louise at 1 week

[​IMG]Harriet at 1 week

[​IMG]Lousie exploring

[​IMG]The babies and Evelyn my 8 week BA.

[​IMG]Babies hopped right up on my Baby.

[​IMG]So much fun this time being relaxed and confident. Thanks to MHP and a much more natural way to raise babies.

2. PowellAnimals

PowellAnimals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    Muncy, Pennsylvania
    Nervous chick mama here! My five day old chicks are in the coop in a dog cage under a heat pad cave for the first time. Just went to check on them and some of them are on top, a few are under, and some were sleeping no where near it. I have the same exact model of heat pad as shown by the OP and it doesn't feel hot enough to the touch but it is 80 degrees in the coop right now so I'm trying to convince myself they are more than warm enough.

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I think I'd go out there, tuck them all under and hold your hand in front of the entrance until they settle down. The behavior you describe is common - and desired - using MHP but 5 days seems a little early. Is it warm out where you live? If it's 80 degrees inside the coop they are probably doing just fine, but I can sympathize with being nervous about it all.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

At 80 degrees? I shouldn't wonder! As long as they were on it or under it or beside it enough to absorb some heat if it cools down tonight, I'd not worry. Most often they will stay where you put them if you put them there and immediately remove the light. This time of year they can stay warm enough just by huddling together with each other.

5. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

That was my husband's idea. I told him what I wanted to do with the legs, and he brought them home. They work great! They are just a bit too long, but I'll probably cut some off before the next batch.

That was my only concern with using a heating pad. I was afraid the power would blip while I was at work, and no one would be here to turn it back on. In the summer it's no big deal, but during the colder months it would be. I called sunbeam and told them what I was looking for and they gave me the serial number for this model. With shipping, it came out to about the same price as the one at Walmart.

They do like it. :) The Tinys don't use it as much since they are more feathered, but they like to use it as a launch pad.

The temp really doesn't feel warm enough to us, but it's plenty for them. If they can press their backs against it, it is even warmer. Mine set on high was in the mid 80's, but when I put the thermometer up against the pad for about 10 min, it registered 100.

My teenies went right under the pad when I first got them. I guess they needed a warming up. Now, they don't go under it much at all. It got to 95 here yesterday, so their whole pen was like a heating pad, lol. I did go out there at dark and herded them closer to the pad and put the teenies under it. I didn't want them getting too cool during the night. I do have the pad on low now and they seemed fine with it.

During the day they spend most of their time at the other end of their coop dust bathing and laying in the sun.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Their pen is 10x10. I have a dog fence separating it in half to keep them contained. They have a ball running/flying up/down their pen. In a couple of weeks I'll remove the dog pen and let them have the whole coop.

[​IMG]

Here are my not so little Littles. They had to get a better few and see what Mama was doing in the next pen. Chickens are so nosy! LOL

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    @henless We did have the power go out one night while our chicks were under the heating pad. We were having a bad storm, sustained winds of 45 -50mph and gusts over 60, temps in the low teens. Snow was coming down sideways! We went to bed and sometime during the night we lost power. About 4 am the power coming back on is what woke Ken. He sat straight up and yelled, "The CHICKS!" We hustled into our outdoor clothes and went out there in that mess to check on them. We don't know how long the power had been off, but it was at least 3 hours and the heating pad was dead. The one week old chicks were just fine. The towel and the straw tucked deeply around, on top of, and under the pad held enough residual warmth to sustain them. I got the pad turned back on and reset, and we came back in and went back to bed. I was almost afraid to go out there when we got up again. I opened the run door and all I saw was 8 little hineys stuck in the air while they ate their breakfast.

Power outages while using a heating pad are definitely a factor to consider. I didn't know that Sunbeam made a heating pad that would turn itself back on after a power outage. If you could post a link to that it would be very helpful, especially if it's one that can stay on and not shut off automatically after an hour or so. I don't worry about it much now, having been through it during such a horrible storm. I know that the deep straw, using the old brooder box as a windbreak, and cuddling will keep them going just fine. Most of us have heard of chicks getting separated from Mom outside and not being reunited for several hours, so although it's not the ideal situation it doesn't have to be the end of the world either. But anything that will ease someone's mind is worth looking into!

7. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

8. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's the link to the pad. It's a Sunbeam Heating Pad with Ultraheat technology. It's blue, with 3 heat settings. It's 12"x15", so decent size. I really like it. Looking at the website, they now have a special offer, buy one get one free. I may have to order another one! LOL

9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Um, I just went to the link you provided (thank you!) and I see that this heating pad has a 2 hour auto-off feature. I don't see any setting on the control to by-pass that so that it stays on continuously, which means you'll have to restart it every 2 hours. That will be a problem, and it's why we stress making sure that the pad can be set to "stay on".

~[​IMG]
    This is the control on the pad that I and most others are using.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep...that's what I see too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by