Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I don't know enough about reptile heating pads to give you a good answer, I'm afraid. Hoping someone will chime in, though. Hate to leave folks hanging without answers. But at least you know about your Broody Brigade membership dues! Photos photos!

That will help, Lavender. I'll just wait to see what you are saying and then I can tell you better. I know that some folks who used the wire frame had problems with chicks getting caught in them, so I would imagine that either using tighter mesh OR encasing the entire setup within a pillow case would prevent that, especially with Bantams.

2. Lavender11

Lavender11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    [​IMG]
    Using a cake rack to hold the heating pad.

[​IMG]
    The guinea pig hutch. It's on cement, under the pergola so cardboard to try and insulate it.

[​IMG]
    Pillow case and bungi cord :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lots of paper towels and right next to the worm farm :p
    I need to get a padlock and also drill some holes for a chain because my little 2 year old and 4 year old daughter will not be able to leave the doors shut.

3. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I like it! How high up from the floor is the actual pad? For the first few days they like that heat right at their backs, so if it's too high you can put some thicker bedding under there to bring them up. I don't know enough about reptile heating pads - do they get really hot, I mean hotter than a regular heating pad on medium or high?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  4. Lavender11

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    When the glue dries and the clamps are off I'll take photos of the blocks of wood that I'll be propping it on. I measured the temp and it's gets to about 30 degrees celcius near the top which is about 86 farenheit.

5. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

So chicks hatched (4 left), moved 13 dry ones to brooder. more drying off .I stuck them all underneath and they took right to MHP, lots of chirping, except my older silkies (1-2 weeks old sat on top). Checked on the brood at dusk and all chicks hidden away. I will get pictures tomorrow, spent the day building a second coop for our breeding trio of buff brahma bantams.

6. Lavender11

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    [​IMG]
    I'm not too sure about the stability of these. I don't want the poor little things being crushed so I might use some bigger blocks of wood or bricks.

[​IMG]
    I think the height is fine, though.

[​IMG]
    This is with the sheet over the top, hanging down a little. I'm still concerned about whether they'll fit between the wires so I might use the wire mesh I have. I hope it's big enough for nine chicks, if they all hatch. I know they'll grow out of it quickly too. I'm still trying to decide whether to build my own coop or just buy one. I guess it depends on how many I end up with.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm still a little concerned about the height for banties but pictures can be deceiving when it comes to sizes. How tall is it from floor to the inner heating pad? And I can't tell but does it slope so it's a little lower at the back than it is in the front? With their smaller body mass, they might need more heat, and in the beginning all chicks like to have that heat right at or on their backs. It's plenty big for your chicks, though, and will be for sometime. I used a heating pad for 15 standard sized chicks until they were 3 weeks old. You'll be amazed at how much time they DON'T spend under it - exploring and running around finding ways to get into trouble! [​IMG]I am so excited to see pictures of your chicks. I've never had banties - don't know what I'd do with them! But I sure have no problem loving looking at pictures of the ones other folks have!

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Did they make that adorable little "churring" sound when they snuggled down for the night. I love that! Waiting for pictures......I can be patient - for about this long. [​IMG]

9. curious chickee

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. curious chickee

All the rest of the chicks were snuggled under MHP