Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  2. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I really should make it but I figured it was okay for now because I did actually cut the hole in it and pile shavings around it so they seem pretty happy atm but I will make it. They go in and out sometimes.

Good to know turning them upside down isn't so bad. :) it's okay, she's been eating so hopefully will get better. Thanks for the info on how to tell them about. :) Do you think it's also ones with more white on the belly? Like solid black and a lot of white under? Because the others are more mixed and grey like you said. But yup, the legs are grey. :) i was nervous but they're the right color haha

Yeah, I should probably put less water in it or get a smaller waterer or something. The food I've been scraping the top off but maybe I'll put less in. I had a lot in because I wasn't sure they could reach but they climb in anyway. Or should I use the other feeder with the holes? I've read they don't like those? Or do you think I should just go back to the paper towel and take this feeder out until they get bigger? Probably need to replace the water though. I should maybe get a smaller one.

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Maybe I'll avoid it then.

Was watching it because I figured I should leave them alone a while today since I bugged them so much yesterday haha I'll make the thing though. Although I do still need Press & Seal and/or duct tape.

4. wahoochix

wahoochix New Egg

Oct 18, 2015
    The Wahoo Chicks are a week old now. All seem happy! I put them outside 3 days ago. Their coop gets to about 50degrees but is at about 80 to 85 under the heating pad. I have a baby monitor in the nesting box so I can hear them...lol! They are quiet all night. I can hear when they wake up. They seem content ,just little happy chirps here and there all day. I get them out atleast 2 times a day for playtime, check on food and water.Their feathers grow so much in a day.They all have cute little tail feathers budding right now. At what age should I allow them access to use the ramp to go outside? Thanks again so much for all of your helpful advice!

5. wahoochix

wahoochix New Egg

Oct 18, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

Make the wire frame TODAY! Take out the old bedding in the box. If your using it for the heating pad frame, I would cut out the top & bottom and cut down some of the sides so that it will be closer to the chicks. When the chicks are young, they get warm by pressing their backs up against momma (heat pad), not from the heat radiating down to them. So, it doesn't need to be too high, just high enough for them to get under and still touch their backs. That's why you need to make the wire frame. You can make it higher in the front, lower in the back and the chicks can find where they like the heat better.

You may have to put them under it a few times before they learn where the heat is. If they can't touch the heating pad, they won't understand where the heat is.

Are your chicks getting natural light or only from light bulbs? If natural light, then don't turn the light on unless you need it for something. If they have no access to natural light, then leave it on during the day but turn it off at night. I kept mine in our shop the first couple of weeks with only one small window. I kept a floor light on during the day and turned it off at night so they would know the difference.

You also need to get some kind of surround for your swimming pool. Those sides are not nearly tall enough. They will be getting out and lost in your garage. I used a watermelon box for my first brooder, worked great! I put a tarp under the bottom (no floor in the box) and put shavings in it.

[​IMG]

Here's the inside. I used a Premier Heat Plate with my first batch. There are 21 chicks under it in this pic and it's the small one. :) I kept my chicks in here for the first 2-3 weeks until we finished the in coop brooder. You can get them for free at Walmart or just about any grocery store.

[​IMG]

Start with 6 or 7 and see how it goes. If they get under it and quite down, it should be fine. If they are still chirping, then they may need a higher number.

How old are your chicks? How long have they been outside? They may be getting old enough to not need the warmer or could be confused where to go if this is new to them. (being outside).

Prayers that everything goes well Blooie! Take care and be careful. :)

As long as you feed the chicks crumbles, boiled/scrambled eggs or yogurt, they won't need grit. Feed them anything else, and they need grit before feeding it to them. I would let them get settled for a few days before feeding them something new.

I would put the lid on your feeder and lower it down into the shavings for the first few days. They won't kick up a lot of shavings in it yet, and you can move it up when they start. The lid gives them something to stand on and lets them reach the food. They can reach the food fine, just take it off the bricks for the first week or so.

[​IMG]

On your BO that is acting funny, he/she may have wry neck. Look up in the health section and you will find out about it.

7. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for all the great info!! Is that why they curled up next to it instead of going in? They were inside and quiet all night last night though. I'll work on getting the wire frame made though. Oh and I took the old bedding out when I checked on them this morning In the bathroom they have a window and it's enough to wake them up though wasn't very bright today as it's raining. In the garage there's only two small windows on one side and it's on the side that doesn't get a lot of sun as is and they're way in the back so out there I turned the light on. But yeah, either way, I turned the light off last night and will again tonight. As for the sides, I put cardboard around it last night :) I will wait on new foods then. For the feeder, this one doesn't have the lid, just the spinny bar thing, but I did get two feeders and the other has the lid so should I switch to that one then? And I'll move the food then. And I'll have to look up that condition. Hopefully it's not too severe. Thanks for all your help. :)

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Okay, I'm home and everything went well for Jenny. I'll have Kendra for several days yet because with her Spina Bifida she needs to be carried a lot and Jenny can't do that. She isn't supposed to lift more than 5 pounds for the next few days then work up to more gradually. Kendra weighs 45 pounds and she doesn't "help" you carry her. She can't wrap her legs around your waist and she doesn't put her arms around either, so it's like carrying a sleeping child - like dead weight.

Anyway, thanks everyone for picking up the slack. You done good! The only thing I'd add for @curious chickee is that my pad doesn't go past 6, so I doubt if your does either. So just "smoosh" your frame down a bit so it's closer to - or even touching - their backs. That should make the difference.

You are all awesome, do you know that? [​IMG]

9. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Glad everything went well!! Hope everything continues to go well!!

Checked on the chickies maybe an hour or two ago and they were sound asleep but it was still a tiny bit light out so left light on then took a nap, just woke up half an hour ago, checked them again, still asleep (well looked at me. All piled next to MHP), so I turned the light off.

I will make the wire frame for MHP and get wire to fence them in in garage tomorrow. As well as get poo out of feeder and replace feed and feeder. I know I really should do it today but it's raining and now dark and the reason I took a nap is suddenly being tired and headache, woke up from nap and headache came back with nauseous so migraine. Point being I'm too sick to deal with them. I know it's not really an excuse but I get them a lot and take it terribly. Plus it's raining and dark. Will wake up and do it. I -think- it's because of that fantastic female thing approaching but I'm not sure. Also sleeping downstairs because the chicks stink and tomorrow, after I make the proper MHP and wire fence, they will be going back in the garage.

10. Chick lover101

Chick lover101 New Egg

Sep 27, 2015
    Fenton mi.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by