Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

when I used swimming pools like that for a brooder I got a second one and cut the bottom out maybe leaving six inches of the bottom in a ring... Then C-Clamped the two to gether... like a Clam... Now you can put window screen on the top and it will contain the little guys... Oh heck like this: instead of C clamps you could also use WIdE duct tape.... but the clamps allow you to clean out deb
Great idea!!
A third woke up and apparently the paper towel is easier than the feeder lol
Not sure in anyone said this already but you can give chicks some warm, hard boiled egg yolk. Some of them go nuts over it and it gives them a nutritional boost.
What temp setting do you use for just hatched silkies, 6 didn't seem warm enough? I did a trial run last night before the chicks begin hatching tomorrow.
6 was perfect for mine. I stuck a thermometer under to see what the temp was and it was 95. Also you can put a towel or blanket down underneath to make the bottom a little higher to the top, which would make them closer to the heat.

My chicks are really not being so smart! At night they pile into the corner of their outdoor brooding area instead of going under the mph. We are in the 30's here at night, so I know they need heat. I waited an extra half hour last night after all the big chickens went to bed and the chicks didn't go under. I went out and caught them and when I put each one under, they didn't come back out for the rest of the night. Think I should lower the heat? I'm on a 6. Or just keep putting them under? Here's a pic, please ignore the poop!

I see a ton of questions but I have to be out the door in 5 minutes to take my daughter-in-law in for a procedure on her back so don't have time to sit and give cohesive answers.....hoping some of the Broody Brigade "ole timers" can chime in and help everyone get sorted out as I won't be back on for quite awhile today. Sorry. Family first here.

My chicks are really not being so smart! At night they pile into the corner of their outdoor brooding area instead of going under the mph. We are in the 30's here at night, so I know they need heat. I waited an extra half hour last night after all the big chickens went to bed and the chicks didn't go under. I went out and caught them and when I put each one under, they didn't come back out for the rest of the night. Think I should lower the heat? I'm on a 6. Or just keep putting them under? Here's a pic, please ignore the poop!

Hi ruby I only had mine on 6 for the first night, after that I turned it down to 4, then gradually reduced it until they feathered in. I did have to put them under for a few nights after they moved outside as it is a new experience.

Great idea!!
Not sure in anyone said this already but you can give chicks some warm, hard boiled egg yolk. Some of them go nuts over it and it gives them a nutritional boost.
6 was perfect for mine. I stuck a thermometer under to see what the temp was and it was 95. Also you can put a towel or blanket down underneath to make the bottom a little higher to the top, which would make them closer to the heat.

Thanks! That's a great idea! Do they need grit for egg or is it soft enough?

I see a ton of questions but I have to be out the door in 5 minutes to take my daughter-in-law in for a procedure on her back so don't have time to sit and give cohesive answers.....hoping some of the Broody Brigade "ole timers" can chime in and help everyone get sorted out as I won't be back on for quite awhile today.  Sorry.  Family first here.

No worries!! We'll be ok! Hope everything goes good for your daughter-in-law.

Hi ruby I only had mine on 6 for the first night, after that I turned it down to 4, then gradually reduced it until they feathered in. I did have to put them under for a few nights after they moved outside as it is a new experience.

Was it as cold as it is here at night (30's)? Do you think I should turn it down then?

Thanks! That's a great idea! Do they need grit for egg or is it soft enough?

No, I don't give grit with the egg yolk. But, I do eventually put a little sand in a plastic container for them to learn to dust bathe and I figure they will ingest a little sand. But all of mine have been fine without grit and the yolk.

Was it as cold as it is here at night (30's)? Do you think I should turn it down then?
No, I don't give grit with the egg yolk. But, I do eventually put a little sand in a plastic container for them to learn to dust bathe and I figure they will ingest a little sand. But all of mine have been fine without grit and the yolk.

After I turned mine down they stayed under or on top of it. But it hasn't got as cold here yet. We are still in the 70's at night. Maybe you could take it down one level at a time. I think 6 is pretty hot. Blooie lives in a cold climate and I believe she had hers set lower. I would need to go back and check. I am sure she will be back on before tonight though.I have some of my heating pad low and some high so they can find the most comfortable spot.

What she said!!

Thanks. :) I may try to give them some especially since I forgot to add the stuff to the water. Little handicapped one was eating a lot today though finally, climbed in the feeder just like everyone else. :) I'll try some egg. The whole egg or just the yolk? I may just let them settle in for a bit i played with them this morning but now I'm watching T.V.

Kelsey - MAKE THE WIRE FRAME. It REALLY won't take but a half hour at most. Using the shipping box with the MHP over the top was a suggestion for that half hour period YESTERDAY. If you are still using it, cut the front out so they can come and go at will. The MHPB works because it is lower in the back, higher in the front and the chicks can decide how close to the heat they want to be at any point in time and go out to play then back in to sleep or warm up as they need.

Don't worry about having turned them upside down to get their beaks in the water. That is how they get vent sexed anyway :D Sorry I don't know what to make of the BO with the balance problem. The grayer ones are BRs the blacker ones BAs. Can't tell for sure but it looks like they have gray legs so Meyer didn't send you BJGs like they did me.

The chicks won't eat a half a cup of food a day ATM. You are just wasting it filling the trough like that. They will poop in it.
Possibly the same with the water if they get in and walk on the rocks. And it isn't easy to clean the waterer out without dumping a fair bit of it

Thanks.
smile.png
I may try to give them some especially since I forgot to add the stuff to the water. Little handicapped one was eating a lot today though finally, climbed in the feeder just like everyone else.
smile.png
I'll try some egg. The whole egg or just the yolk? I may just let them settle in for a bit i played with them this morning but now I'm watching T.V.

If they are eating the chick food they don't need egg or anything else. It won't hurt them but it isn't a balanced diet.

And you have time to watch TV because you already made the wire frame for the MHPB ...... right?????

Back
Top Bottom