Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Flock Master

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I thought so unless it's an abcesss. Hold on, getting better pic.

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Okay, the red area would be the vent by the looks of the structure of it. I don't know what else you're referring to. [​IMG]

3. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

A good way to clean pasty butt is to get some warm water and dip a soft cloth in it. Then gently rub the dried poo. You will have to redip the cloth several times before it gets soft enough to come off. Once it's soft, you can pick it with your fingers to gently get it off. You have to be careful and not pull the fluffy feathers off since that will leave her bum raw and cause more irritation. Be sure and put some oil on it to help the poo slid off.

Have you made your wire frame yet? If not, you need to get it done this week end.

How is the lighting in the garage? Many windows, large overhead light or what? If it's pretty dark, you will need to get a lamp to put in there. Keep the lamp on during the day. When it's time for them to go to bed for the night, don't turn the lamp off right away. Pick the lamp up and set it a few feet away. This will make the brooder darker and signal the chicks it's getting dark. This will help them go under the mhp for night time sleeping. Give it 10-15 min then turn the light off and leave it off until morning.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

Usually pasty butt is due to too hot a brooder...if using the heating pad, you might look into seeing if you have it on too high setting. If using a heat lamp, raise it up so they can get away from the source of heat when they need to do so. Good advice on just leaving the chicks be without too much interference of picking them up, etc. If they are in a room with a window and have natural light, you shouldn't need to turn lights on and off to simulate daylight and dark...they get the idea from the natural light from the window.

If not already, you might try putting a little ACV in their water to help with the diarrhea...it can help replace lost electrolytes.

5. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thanks, Bee! You know I love ya! [​IMG]

6. Lavender11

Lavender11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    It measured at 5cm high. Do you think that might be too high? I have something I can put in there for more padding to lift them higher. I also have pine shavings but wasn't going to put it in there for the first couple of days. I haven't made it slope yet. I'll get to that this afternoon. We're in lock down and I can't wait to post photos when they hatch.

7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Use your judgement...if it looks like it's nowhere near their backs, then you can worry about it then. It's kinda hard to judge until you actually get to see them under there. For now, I'd keep the heat going so it's ready for them when they get here. If you need to adjust it then, you can. But do get that slope in there - they'll go to the back at first and as they get bigger they'll move toward the front. I can't wait to see them!

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    And thank you too, henless! I didn't even see your post until I came back in. Another Duh, Diane moment, brought to you by the fine folks at Exhaustion, the Quicker Dragger Downer! [​IMG]

9. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

Blooie you are hilarious! I know every time I read this thread I am going to laugh at something funny you say.

I'm dragging myself. Fixing to head to bed and take advantage of that extra hour of sleep we are getting tonight. :)

10. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Flock Master

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for all the help everybody!!

I just held her and dipped her little bum in a bowl a couple times and it was wet beforehand (not dry and stuck) so came right off. Then I got a Q Tip and put it under the faucet (may have accidentally made that too hot) and wiped around the area and in as much as it went and kinda picked. She seemed fine. I then wrapped her in a face cloth and held her for a bit. Then patted dry with toilet paper eventually (out of paper towels) and I think put her back. But then I grabbed her again (or maybe never put her back) and brought her downstairs because I thought there was that other hole and was gonna poke with toothpick until I realized what that really was when it wouldn't come.off. getting to that. Was so cute though, I put the wash cloth down then two cardboard things (we got a digital scale for.myself yesterday and these were on either end, over scale) on sides because she looked like she was trying to make a break for it and she stayed put and tried falling asleep right there lol almost fell over once cause the cloth was kinda uneven, just tossed it down. She was so cute. Eventually, after some pictures of the condition (will post in a sec), I took her back upstairs, along with the Q Tips and olive oil, and dipped the Q Tip in olive oil and wiped her little tushy. Also whatever the bump was came right off so must have just been poop (I figured but I tried pulling it a few times and wouldn't budge hence why I thought abcess or something, pics in a second) so that's good, no second hole apparently lol although ut does look like there may be a small cut or something there. I tried to get another picture but.my battery got too lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by