Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

This little cheeper managed to get INSIDE the pillow case, pulled off MHP thinking she got smooshed (they were roosting on top and sunk it in a bit) and i feel her and she starts moving, here she was INSIDE. Good thing I checked and I will be TAPING tht up right now. And thank goodness I had it on two as recommended or she would be FRIED. At least she's nice and toast now though LOL and she DID come out thirsty and hungry, feeling better now that she warmed up (she was a little lethargic before). She also squirted on me haha liquid poo? Glad she's feeling a tad better though. also added aspen on top. Will be taping pillow case then making wire frame and completely emptying shavings and cleaning brooder tomorrow. Just replaced water and food too. But ehat a silly little chick, all nestled in the pillow case lol she must have climbed in cause she wasn't in before.

She's been eating a long time lol

Wait, wait.....for four days I've been reading that you are going to make the frame tomorrow, tomorrow. Okay, I'm really sorry you lost a chick, and that things haven't been been going exactly the way you expected them too. But a shish-ke-bob skewer? Seriously? There comes a time when, despite how much I want to help you, I have to say, "That's enough." I've read posts all over the place where you talk about "guess I'd better start taking care of my dogs." and the same with the cats. Now you have a batch of tiny little chicks, people from one end of BYC to the other have tried to help you, and still all we see is crisis after crisis, emergency panic, and a few "hahas" tossed in there.

Look, you either want to do this or you don't. You are either ready to do this or you need to give it up at this point, get out the other brooding supplies you bought and start over with them under a heat lamp. I am pretty laid back, and there's not a thing I won't do to help someone out. I was new too, and I remember well the feeling of being totally intimidated by everything I was trying to do for my chicks. But aside from a few momentary hysterical posts, you seem to be taking this as a big joke - an experiment that you just don't seem physically or emotionally ready to handle.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, and I know that your dad just had hip surgery and all. But chicks don't understand that. They just want care and the best start possible. So at this point, no matter how many people I make mad at me, I have to say this: either get serious and get it done, or find a good home for those chicks, because at this rate they are going to die one by one and the next thing I know you'll be upset about MHP not working, about nobody helping you, and about hard-hearted Blooie yelling at you. I'll also you this point blank - if you had been my child and you came to me wanting chicks, I would have pointed at the other pets in your home and said, "Show me with these how responsible and ready you are, then we'll talk."

That's all I'm saying on the subject.

I have not responded to this thread because I've found the theatrics to be beyond unbelievable. I agree with Blooie. You are not mature enough to be able to take care of these little animals. Find them a home, and try gold fish, or perhaps a geranium. Keep them alive and healthy before going to animals that require daily monitoring and care.

Finished hatch 28 out 36
Hanging out on MHP since it is 75 degrees outside
I don't know that much about incubating, but that seems like an excellent hatch rate to me! Congratulations! And they are so CUTE! I wish it was 75 here...alas, we spend today prepping to winterize the run.

I'm intrigued by how you put that mesh on the top. What is that? I like it!!

Last edited:
Okay, I'm sorry it has come across that way and I realize it probably sounds really bad but I promise I'm not taking it as a joke. I know it's hard to explain and people will probably think I'm just saying this to cover my.butt I promise I'm not so.. Here: the "haha" and "lol" and all that does not mean I think it's funny or a big joke. I know, I know, that's what those words mean and.sometimes stuff is actually funny but the thing is that it's a bad habit. I say it all the.time. i say it after almost everything as you've probably noticed, even stuff that's not funny. I don't know why I do it but to me it's just a bad habit and.an overused word, much like the words "like" or "dude" teenagers often use, I don't actually think everything is funny. And I realize that comes off as immature probably but I promise in real life I am more mature or sound better. I know it's bad and I don't like sounding 5 either but it's a habit. Same with the emojis. I do not think this is a joke.

Also the shish q bob screwer thing is probably not the right word. I did not just stick a giant metal fork up her or anything. There was a whole package of them and all it is is a giant pointed wooden stick, exactly the same except bigger.

And yes the frame thing is bad and I have been saying it a ton and it may not take that long but the last couple days I've gotten back after dark. Yes, a handful of the days I just simply didn't do it and I don't know why but the ones I genuinely wanted to I got back too late. Now you might say there's no such thing as getting back too late or whatever but it is a huge roll of wire and needs to be unrolled outside plus I'm not even sure I had wire cutters before the other day. But I promise it WILL get done tomorrow, I'm not waiting anymore. I know that I have repeatedly said that but this time it genuinely will because I have all the supplies ad I am changing their bedding anyway so it is a good time.

But besides MHP and the dead chicks problem I really don't see how it has been crisis after crisis? This is the first chick that was sick and yes, I was upset... I've never had chicks before and it was one of the sweetest ones..

And I know that MHP is important and I may as well have just done the other way or whatever but it's not like I just haven't given them heat or anything, I've been trying to make the box work as much as I can and I even cut the box down and added some cloth napkins and shavings today so they can be closer. I know it is not the same as the frame but I've been making the box as good as it can be and the frame IS getting done tomorrow and if it doesn't feel free to be mad again but it is.

But besides MHP I personally think I've been taking care of them? I changed their food and water often, switched feeders when they got poop in the other one, I just added more shavings on top, I've even brushed off the top of MHP nightly when they roost on it and get poo on it.

I know you're understandably frustrated but I don't see how being upset about one.chick constitutes as being too immature to have them or crisis after crisis.... And yeah, I did panic when I first saw it because I've never had them and didn't know what was wrong with her... But I fixed her immediately.

Also they're not going to die one by one? All the.others are healthy and.again, besides the frame, I have been taking care of them... Maybe that's the most important part, I don't know, but like I said, I've been making adjustments to the box, I didn't just stick them in there. I'm constantly with them and checking on them and.fixing stuff..

And they actually have said that but I finally just ordered them. You may say even that counts as immature or on an impulse but it wasn't because I've wanted them for years and I did ask and they said yes, they just wouldn't have ordered them, they do it every time I ask. But I've also been researching for just as many years.

I realize they need the best start and yeah, maybe I haven't provided it, but it's not like I'm just completely ignoring them and letting them die or anything, I'm doing everything else.

Besides, I'm not going to rehome them, nobody exactly wants chicks, especially in November. I'm taking care of them

And again, I really don't see how being upset over a chick being sick and dying in the first chicks I've ever had makes me.too immature to handle them...... Sorry I'm more sensitive and haven't seen sick and dead chicks before... :/

I feel like this is all about the frame though, which WILL get done

I don't know that much about incubating, but that seems like an excellent hatch rate to me!  Congratulations!  And they are so CUTE!  I wish it was 75 here...alas, we spend today prepping to winterize the run.  

I'm intrigued by how you put that mesh on the top.  What is that?  I like it!!

My neighbor owns a shop where he gets a lot of water resistant wood boxes. I used a staple gun to attach hard ware cloth across the top gap to reach in when needed than another a wire frame as a door over the top. I had to cover the brooder and lock up the older birds as we are getting some rain and my run is more set up for summer high heat than rain.

Yes, it was a great hatch and I love all the colors I got can't wait to see how they feather out. My black sex links make me want to get more. This hatch was my test run so when my daughter's SQ buff brahma bantams being laying I will everything worked out as best add I can including the MHP.

Back
Top Bottom