Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I put them back in with the others and then thought oh no, I should have made a way to distinguish them from the rest. One I can tell but the other one looks exactly like another chick. But they are walking around fine and I can't tell any difference between the way they walk and the others. They are reintegrating well.

Sounds good! At least you'll be prepared for your next hatch!

Not a silly question at all, Peep-Chicken! I can understand your concern. But I have a towel, Press 'n Seal, and straw packed under it, on top of it, and around it, and it's just fine. Same with the others who have switched to this method. None of us would be doing this if we felt we were jeopardizing our homes, families, coops and birds. Far, far less fire danger than with a heat lamp. Think about this - the heating pad heats the cave and the chicks. A heat lamp heats the bedding, the brooder box, the dust and dander, the surrounding floors and walls, and you certainly wouldn't let your hand or a piece of paper come into direct contact with it like you can with heating pad.

Of course, any heat producing device - or for that matter any electrical device - carries with it some risk. But heating pads are designed to come into direct contact with human skin, clothing, bedding, and upholstery. For that and so many other reasons the pad is less risky than the lamp.

Much less of an intense heat source than a heat lamp!
I gotta learn to look at that new post thingy, LG!
lau.gif

Much less of an intense heat source than a heat lamp!  

Not a silly question at all, Peep-Chicken!  I can understand your concern.  But I have a towel, Press 'n Seal, and straw packed under it, on top of it, and around it, and it's just fine.  Same with the others who have switched to this method.  None of us would be doing this if we felt we were jeopardizing our homes, families, coops and birds. Far, far less fire danger than with a heat lamp.  Think about this -  the heating pad heats the cave and the chicks.  A heat lamp heats the bedding, the brooder box, the dust and dander, the surrounding floors and walls, and you certainly wouldn't let your hand or a piece of paper come into direct contact with it like you can with heating pad.  

Of course, any heat producing device - or for that matter any electrical device - carries with it some risk.  But heating pads are designed to come into direct contact with human skin, clothing, bedding, and upholstery.  For that and so many other reasons the pad is less risky than the lamp. 

Ah thank you all! :)

Back
Top Bottom