Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Maybe it was splayed legs because today, after having their legs splinted for almost 2 days they seem so much better. I've taken the splints off, they've both been a bit wobbly and one was walking backwards more than it was forwards at first. I'm keeping them separate from the rest of the chicks and I'm about to read up more on splayed legs. I don't want to take the splints off too soon so I need to find out if I'm doing the right thing.

I'm glad they're doing better. :) you read the thread blooie linked, right? I think there it might say a week? So I'd maybe keep it on the rest of the week just to be safe. :)

I'm glad they're doing better.
smile.png
you read the thread blooie linked, right? I think there it might say a week? So I'd maybe keep it on the rest of the week just to be safe.
smile.png

Yes. I've been reading anything and everything I can find online and asking for help where I can. I'm not even sure it was either of those issues just because they seem to be doing so well. They're in a shoe box with their own food and water, in the brooder, trying to see the other chicks over the edge. They're still a bit wobbly, too. I was reading how they quickly learn bad walking habits and I'm wondering if because they were under the pile of other chicks stuck at the back of the MHP if they just quickly forgot how to walk properly. I don't know, I'm a total newbie at this. Now I need to learn about reintegration so they don't get picked on for their time away, even though it was only for two days. Thanks everyone for your help and support.

Maybe it was splayed legs because today, after having their legs splinted for almost 2 days they seem so much better. I've taken the splints off, they've both been a bit wobbly and one was walking backwards more than it was forwards at first. I'm keeping them separate from the rest of the chicks and I'm about to read up more on splayed legs. I don't want to take the splints off too soon so I need to find out if I'm doing the right thing.

With a slipped tendon, the chick will not be able to put any weight on the leg. And only one leg will go out to the side. If both legs seemed to being going out toward the side and the chick is trying to get around on their bum then it's probably splayed/spraddle legs. I wrap the legs, just above the feet and connect the tape in the middle. This keeps the legs underneath them. Look at a normal chick to compare how far apart the legs should be. I keep the tape on for a week and that usually does the trick. Here's some good sites:
http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html?m=1

With a slipped tendon, the chick will not be able to put any weight on the leg. And only one leg will go out to the side. If both legs seemed to being going out toward the side and the chick is trying to get around on their bum then it's probably splayed/spraddle legs. I wrap the legs, just above the feet and connect the tape in the middle. This keeps the legs underneath them. Look at a normal chick to compare how far apart the legs should be. I keep the tape on for a week and that usually does the trick. Here's some good sites:
http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html?m=1

Thanks. I'll check to see if I haven't looked at those links. I left the tape off their legs overnight and they seem perfectly normal now. Should I go back to putting tape on their legs or maybe just keep them separate for another day or two just to make sure? They can see each other over the edge of the box. I'm hoping that makes for an easier reintegration.

Edited: I'm so glad it was an easy problem to fix but feel bad that I made them sit in those chick chairs and kept them separated when they didn't need to. @RubyNala97 I hadn't seen the first link so thanks. I think what threw me was that their legs weren't doing the splits, they were just sitting on their bottoms. I'll try and upload a photo or two today to show you how cute they are.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll check to see if I haven't looked at those links. I left the tape off their legs overnight and they seem perfectly normal now. Should I go back to putting tape on their legs or maybe just keep them separate for another day or two just to make sure? They can see each other over the edge of the box. I'm hoping that makes for an easier reintegration.

Edited: I'm so glad it was an easy problem to fix but feel bad that I made them sit in those chick chairs and kept them separated when they didn't need to. @RubyNala97
 I hadn't seen the first link so thanks. I think what threw me was that their legs weren't doing the splits, they were just sitting on their bottoms. I'll try and upload a photo or two today to show you how cute they are.

Can they walk around good with the tape around their legs? Do the legs seem to be as close together as the "normal" chicks? You can either put the tape back on as long as they can walk good with it on (if the tape is on properly then they should have no problem walking) or if you feel that they are all healed then they might not need it any longer. Within a few days their bones are growing and hardening. Either way I would put them back in with the other chicks. Just make sure they are eating and drinking good.

I put them back in with the others and then thought oh no, I should have made a way to distinguish them from the rest. One I can tell but the other one looks exactly like another chick. But they are walking around fine and I can't tell any difference between the way they walk and the others. They are reintegrating well.

I just got my very first chicks today and I'm a nervous mommy! I've made a heating pad brooder but I'm worried sick they'll somehow overheat during the night. It's hot here in south fl still, in the 80s at night...will they self regulate, even when they sleep?? They're all quiet and tucked in. Once the light went out they freaked out, lots of chirping but I showed them the "cave" and that all settled down. Not there's not a peep:) I love these little souls so much and as I said worry they'll get too hot during the night...???? Please advise!

I just got my very first chicks today and I'm a nervous mommy! I've made a heating pad brooder but I'm worried sick they'll somehow overheat during the night. It's hot here in south fl still, in the 80s at night...will they self regulate, even when they sleep?? They're all quiet and tucked in. Once the light went out they freaked out, lots of chirping but I showed them the "cave" and that all settled down. Not there's not a peep:) I love these little souls so much and as I said worry they'll get too hot during the night...???? Please advise!
If they are too hot or too cold you'll hear them...you'll soon be able to distinguish between true distress cheeping and all the other kinds.

Back
Top Bottom