Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

All snug in their bed. Let me know if I've missed something. I was right to be worried about the gaps in the wire. Even though I put some mesh up one still got it's head through. If I didn't have that mesh they would be able to get out and they're curious little things. I've since moved the mesh over so the gaps are even smaller. They seem happy for now but I'll keep checking them just to make sure. They came out for a little exploration and most of them couldn't find their way back :)
I agree with aart. Take the food & water out of the tray and separate it a little. Give them more room to access it. Another thing you can do is sprinkle a bit of their food on the paper towels. This will give them an idea of what their food is.

They look like they really like their mhp. They look so cute all cuddled up underneath it. :)

They need a little help/schooling at first..broody mama would show them where to go and what to so...so you have to play broody mama and show them.
I'd take the food and water out of that tray and spread them farther apart for ease of access for the chicks....and maybe remove the pile of towels in front of the MHP.
They look pretty well protected from drafts from what is seen in the pics.

Thanks. I took the pile out (it was landscaping fabric under the paper towels) because they looked like they were too hot. I also added another layer between them and the heating pad as it doesn't have the option to turn it down. They seem very settled now. I have brought three inside because one has what looks to be slipped tendons and now it's legs are splinted and it's in a little chicken seat :(

I have my MHP all set up. They've all hatched and are nearly dry. It's 5:14pm here and quite warm but a little bit windy. Do you think they'll be okay outside or should I just keep them inside overnight? Their set-up is under the pergola and I can put a blanket over it to keep the draft off them.
Personally, I like to keep them inside for the first 48 hours. That way, if they get away from the pad, and lost I'll hear the complaining, and can play Mama Broody... remind them where the heat is. If your pad is not as adjustable as the Sunbeam Xpress, you may have problems with it. Got a thermometer you can stick in there to check? In the beginning, they need help to figure out the heating system, and may just as likely find themselves overheating under the pad, not able to figure out how to fix it... as they are to get out at the other end of the brooder, and forget where the heat is.

It really is great! I'm about to move mine to the garage but I know that they'll be just fine now that they have the proper MHP and know where the heat is. Plus it's been so warm during the day. But I know that when it's cold at night, they'll go under. Plus they'll have more sunlight in the garage so no need to turn lights on and off and when it's dark, and before it gets cold, they will hopefully go under MHP and if not I can tuck them under. I feel like they're much more independent too. I've never had chicks but at the fairs or zoo under the lights they all just sit there. Of course, those are just hatched ones and I guess mine sort of huddled and clung together at first too but still. I like how there's the different frame options too so if someone doesn't have one thing or doesn't like that option, they can find something they do have and do like

I'm not too happy at the moment. I thought I did everything right, had it all set up properly in preparation and it looked like everyone else's but two of them and possibly a third look like they have slipped tendons. I feel sick at the thought of culling but I don't want to torture them with a slow death :(

I'm not too happy at the moment. I thought I did everything right, had it all set up properly in preparation and it looked like everyone else's but two of them and possibly a third look like they have slipped tendons. I feel sick at the thought of culling but I don't want to torture them with a slow death
sad.png

I'm confused...why would a brooder cause slipped tendons? Never had a chick with slipped tendons in my life...sounds like a genetic or improper hatching issue.

I'm confused too. I mean, I know I've heard people say newspaper or other slippery surfaces can cause splay issues and other leg things but never heard anyone mention slipped tendons. Besides, even if those things did cause slipped tendons, you didn't have any slippery things in your brooder right? So I too don't see how it would cause it if you did nothing wrong. Unless maybe they got injured or.something some other way but that's not your fault. Seems like just bad luck

Back
Top Bottom