Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

2. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    This is a brilliant idea. One thing I noticed when I experimented with making my frame flat earlier is that then there's less or in your case no pad on the side of the frame to touch and that it's not really "cozy looking" if that makes sense but I guess maybe it doesn't matter as long as they can touch the pad somewhere? I forget what you said you used for the wire part though

3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I hope I'm making the right call here. I was at a Drs appt and didn't get home till after dark to lock up. I assumed the chicks would be under their mph and the chickens would be sleeping in the coop. Well the chicks were all mixed in sleeping with the big chickens. (I have silkies so they don't roost but sleep in a big heap on the floor). The chicks weren't even huddled together. One chick was under one silkie and another was under a different one and so on. So I left them. I'll check on them in a couple hours but all look snug and cozy...one big family. The chicks are 4 & 5 weeks old. Will they be warm enough without the mph if they have the big silkies?

4. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

@KDOGG331 ~ If you notice, every MHP that has been posted on here is unique. No two are just alike. Some are similiar, but none are exactly like another one. What you need to do is step back and decide how you want to make your MHP (you should have done this and made it before ever getting your chicks). Once you decide how you want yours to look, then make it and stick with it. Your not going to have time to enjoy your chicks with all the changes you are doing every day. The best part of having chicks is watching them. They are so cute!! I love to sit out and watch my chickens. They are so entertaining!

I wish you good luck with your chickens!

5. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, you're probably right about that. Maybe I will just leave it as is, they actually seem pretty happy as is and actually stayed under when I put them under for the first time. (Last night all but the two EEs stayed and they were on top screaming for the others to join them for quite a while before finally sleeping LOL) so that's good. One chick tonight started making noise again though so I checked (with a flashlight this time so as not to wake them up) and she had simply come out and not known how to get back in so with the light she got a drink and went back under. Of course then an Orp ran out and grab a couple bites to eat then another poked her head out but didn't come out so I tucked them back under and turned the light off. The.Orp actually went back under on her when I turned the flashlight off. So I'm guessing they like this MHP mucb better than the box. :) I think they were outgrowing the box. But yeah, all were under and quiet except the little one who managed to get out. And normally I would have just left them to cry themselves to sleep but it sounded like the whole flock (some.of those chicks are LOUD) so was worried one fell out. ANYWAY. You're definitely right and they're already growing so fast. :( And so far all I've done is make adjustments or go up for a couple minutes, manage to snag them one at a time and take a couple pictures, then just put them to bed. Now, I'm working on not snagging them and have been feeding them from my hand.and it's going well but it's still only a couple minutes. What I really need to do is go sit with them because you're right, watching them is the best part and before I know it they will be adults. :( As for making it beforehand, yeah, I'm really not sure why I didn't. I mean, they did get here sooner than expected (hatched 10/26, got here next day. I figured I'd have an extra day) but even so, I ordered them September 18th so plenty of time so really don't know what I was thinking. Hadn't even set up brooder or anything. But luckily it didn't take long and now I have the wire frame as of yesterday and all but the poor dead chicky are doing well. I'm thinking I may just leave MHP alone because I mean, it's working for them and why mess with a good thing, right? I can always mess with it the.next round.of chicks I guess. They're growing up so fast. :( Speaking of which, does anyone know if EE's are particularly loud or spirited or if I may have a roo? Because they're both feisty and flapping about (actually, they're pretty efficient fliers already so more like flying) all over the brooder but one.is actually pretty quiet but the other is CONSTANTLY making noise it seems. That was the one crying for the others last night from atop MHP. Also a few days ago I held it and it must have been cheeping for at least a couple minutes because I recorded it near the end and.that was at least a minute long but it did it for a long time before that. And it was LOUD. Like deafening. So I put it back ASAP. Now, maybe this.chick just didn't like being held but most others just peep a little or try to escape and get back to the brooder. This one was just screaming at the top of.it's lungs until I put it back. It also sometimes hangs back while the others eat but then sometimes does plow in so maybe it.just gives up when it can't find a spot. I don't know, I really hope it's not a roo because it's really cool coloring. I hope it's not a loud hen either. The EEs have been the first to feather though and the biggest so far, they already have what looks like a full row of wing feathers whereas the others only have a couple or half or some chicks (only like one or two I think) barely have any. It's certainly interesting. Sorry, rambling now I guess but you just got me thinking about how fascinating they are. I really need to spend more time just sitting with them. I'm hoping though that with the new, much bigger, HC brooder in the garage that I will be able to sit down in it.with them and.just hang out with them or set up a chair outside it and.watch or something

6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Btw, I no longer hold them against their will anymore, that was before I knew better and I was just so fascinated by how LONG it was screaming for and thought I could calm it down (most of the.other chicks would chirp a bit then eventually settle down). NOT THIS ONE.

7. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    But they really do grow so fast. :(

8. Lavender11

Lavender11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    I have my MHP all set up. They've all hatched and are nearly dry. It's 5:14pm here and quite warm but a little bit windy. Do you think they'll be okay outside or should I just keep them inside overnight? Their set-up is under the pergola and I can put a blanket over it to keep the draft off them.

9. Lavender11

Lavender11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All snug in their bed. Let me know if I've missed something. I was right to be worried about the gaps in the wire. Even though I put some mesh up one still got it's head through. If I didn't have that mesh they would be able to get out and they're curious little things. I've since moved the mesh over so the gaps are even smaller. They seem happy for now but I'll keep checking them just to make sure. They came out for a little exploration and most of them couldn't find their way back :)

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They need a little help/schooling at first..broody mama would show them where to go and what to so...so you have to play broody mama and show them.
    I'd take the food and water out of that tray and spread them farther apart for ease of access for the chicks....and maybe remove the pile of towels in front of the MHP.
    They look pretty well protected from drafts from what is seen in the pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by