Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Ruby, the portal is an excellent addition to the MHP concept.  It takes rearing babies to a whole new level of easy.  Thanks to Azygous for her ingenuity with that concept!  When I first joined BYC, the common notion and advice was not to integrate until the chicks are the same size as the adults.  Through experimenting with my own flock, I've come to the conclusion, that given common sense, and appropriate # of chicks to be integrated, (and even that's subjective!)  earlier is much better!

Lazy, today when I let the big ones out to free range, my oldest pullet (who's a total sweetheart) decided she wanted to stay in the run and hang out with the chicks!! I couldn't believe it. Maybe it's just her nature but it was so sweet watching her show them how to peck around. And I think it's a good thing that the oldest of the flock has taking a liking to them. So far this is going beyond smooth! Hoping to be able to put the chicks in the coop by weekend!

MHP take 2

Waterer is secured

The MHP set up is AWESOME. Two years ago I brooded my chickens in the house/basement for months, under a red brooding heat lamp thing. The electric bill was through the roof not to mention the dust and chicken doo do and constant fear of fire from hot bulb shining on wood chips 24/7.
This spring I tried the MPH and set the 1 day old baby chicks out to the coop with MPH. Not one case of poopy butt out of 17 chicks. I was amazed how much time they spent wondering around the coop exploring and being chickeny. Guess what, they don't need, not do they want, to stand under a hot bulb all the time. They feathered out in half the time, were Incorporated into my existing flock fully in less that a month. They are now 6 months old and I have not lost any chickens, they are all happy and healthy.
At about the same time that I had these 17 chicks under MPH I had one chick hatched with a broody hen. I never separated the broody hen/chick from the rest of the flock. At this time I challenge anyone to tell me who was raised with MPH and who was the broody chick. It seems like this is the most natural, safest, easiest, least costly, cleanest method brooding chicks with out the use of a real chicken mom.
Thanks Blooie for enlightening me to this method. If anyone is reading this thinking maybe they want to try it I say go for it, you wont be disappointed.

Last edited:
It seems your having a lot of trouble with your chicks getting in the pillow case. If I were you, I would take off the pillow case and use small bungee cords to attach the heating pad to your frame. Be sure and put your heating pad underneath the wire, so that the chicks can press up against the pad and get warm. Instead of using a pillow case, just get an old kitchen or hand towel and lay across the top of the wire. You can take it off, shake off the poo and put back on. This will keep the chicks from getting caught up in the pillow case. I used a cookie rack and all thread rods to make my warmer. I bungeed it underneath the rack and just laid an old kitchen towel over the top. I made the front higher than the back and let the chicks pick where they wanted to stay. My heating pad had a cover on it and you can see that it was a bit wider than the cookie rack. I let the extra hang down in the front but not all the way to the ground. Here it is set up in the coop. I have the towel over the top, then put some shavings over the towel. Angle it so the front is higher, and the chicks can go in all way to the back if they need to, or stay up from for not as much heat. You really need to take off the pillow case, or else fix it to where they can't get up in it. Otherwise, your going to have a chick get caught up in there and not make it.`
I sewed my pillowcase shut so the chicks couldn't get in, now that I had the leak I had to rip the seems I sewed, dry everything now sew it back up. Takes time but worth it, no chicks caught in pillowcase. I like the pillowcase because keeps the pad cleaner for future use.
Thank you both for the tips. :) Unfortunately I don't know how to sew,CC, so that's out haha But anyway, I definitely was having quite a few issues but I think the issue was more the type of pillow case because I had another one when I had the box, one of the normal ones with the opening on one end, and didn't have an issue but then I put a different one on cause the other got gross and this one is one of the ones with the opening right in the center so it caused a lot of issues. I managed to find one that opens on one end and also zips, which is nice cause I can have the cord stick through and not rip a hole in it, and I got home and none were stuck so I take that as a good sign. :) That said though, I think I may switch to a cooling rack or something like that too because I'm not really liking this wire. It's green vinyl welded wire and it bends easy enough but my problem is it doesn't really bend back too well and once you bend it a few times (as I have, trying to get it perfect) it becomes hard to get back to a good shape, like the actual wire is easy to bend but it kind of gets "stuck" in positions and hard to make a new position if that makes sense. Now, we do have a whole roll so I could always just find a shape I like and then cut a new piece off and immediately put it in that position but I don't know. But either way though, whether I switch to a different frame or not, I really do like the bungee cord idea and my heating pad is currently sitting up top but the holes are big so I think they can touch but I may have to go with the bungee cord thing. Plus it's easier to angle lower. And we have tons of bricks to prop it up. The only thing is though is I don't know if something like that would be big enough for 8 but I guess we'll see. And also I was wondering, where would I connect them? Underneath or up top? Or do I hook them to the wire? Cause I was thinking you link the two ends together or no? With the latter I was concerned about comfort and toes or wingd stuck but I guess that's unlikely. And like CC the pillow case does help keep it clean but them so does a towel and I think these are washable

So much complication! Just put the pad on the rack and cover it with a thin piece of plywood larger than the pad.
I did cover the wood with the glad brand sticky wrap...peeled it off once they were done with heat.

So much complication! Just put the pad on the rack and cover it with a thin piece of plywood larger than the pad. I did cover the wood with the glad brand sticky wrap...peeled it off once they were done with heat.
I think I actually just read your article on that yesterday or the other day. Seems like such a great idea ad we definitely have plenty of wood and random parts laying around. I may just do that instead.

Ughhh my mom keeps turning the stupid heat on in the bathroom no matter how many times I tell her to STOP.... So glad they are moving out to the garage tomorrow. That said though, this time I'm actually glad despite being mad at first because I figured I'd check what setting the heating pad was on and apparently I forgot to turn the auto off thing off and it was cold.. Could have sworn I had it on.. But at least they stayed warm while it was off. But she didn't know it was off and she knows the other one was just sick from too warm of a brooder so it's kind of annoying but oh well, not too hard to turn it back off and the chickies all seem happy. Trying to turn the light off but all are still wide awake aha it did get dark incredibly early lately though.

That said, we got the hardware cloth and garage will be cleaned so they're definitely moving out and I may experiment with some of these other ideas for the frame. So far the current one does seem to be working though, just not in love with the shape

Back
Top Bottom