Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Quote: Well, that's where proof reading, and editing - before you hit send, can really improve your communications and get you the answers/info you need.

Maybe I'm just old, but I think that maybe texting has severely degraded writing / communication skills and habits.
When see a block of text, short or long, with no capitalization, punctuation, and/or paragraphs...I rarely even bother reading it anymore.
I could go on and on but -Stop Rant-

Well, that's where proof reading, and editing - before you hit send, can really improve your communications and get you the answers/info you need.

Maybe I'm just old, but I think that maybe texting has severely degraded writing / communication skills and habits.
When see a block of text, short or long, with no capitalization, punctuation, and/or paragraphs...I rarely even bother reading it anymore.
I second this sentiment!!!
goodpost.gif

Well, that's where proof reading, and editing - before you hit send, can really improve your communications and get you the answers/info you need.

I second this sentiment!!!   :goodpost:

Well yeah, that's what I mean, if I proofread it I would see the things and fix them. No use proofreading if you just leave the mistakes there. :p

That said, I don't think you're necessarily old, I think it probably is true but then again I've thought the same about other people. Like for instance my friend spells everything wrong and shortens things where they don't need to be plus does the punctuation thing. Now a lot of that is just that she has I think dyslexia and other issues and has always been bad with spelling but some of it definitely is the online thing. I knew someone else who literally always did abbreviations, and this was on a blog instead of just texting, and it was so annoying to talk with them because they always did the stupid abbreviations, like my other friend, like u (you) or y (why) and numbers and stuff (2 for to, too, two) and one time I asked them why/mentioned it being really annoying (probably not the best idea) and they said they didn't have the time to type it out and.it was easier and they could do what they wanted or something like that. Secretly I thought maybe they thought it made them look cool because like seriously? You have time to sit on this blog yet can't answer like a person? XD

Anywho, I feel like it has but it's not just the internet pr texting. I used to make run on sentences all the time when I was younger and this is in school so paper. I was pretty young though I think. Sometimes still do but mostly only online or in journals or whatever. My thing is I can be really good at writing but when it's not school related I don't really bother, though I probably should. When I actually try I'm good at it. And I feel like that's another thing, some people I feel genuinely lost the skills (or never learned them) but then other people still have them or are good at it but decide not to really care in texts or online, which I guess is kind of a shame. I think for here, and maybe in general, I'll start editing and stuff.

Although, also, for me I don't think I completely lost it or anything because even in texts where most people don't bother and here I still do try to use punctuation and capitalization and all the other rules. I think my main issue is I just talk too much (and don't know when to break it off) and I'm not sure if that's texting or not haha come to think of it, I think I have done it in essays too but usually I eventually fix it

..... I think my main issue is I just talk too much (and don't know when to break it off)......
lau.gif

Oh, gawd, you crack me up!!
I only scold you because I know you are very articulate...and aware enough not to be offended when I do scold.
Nothing wrong with chatting, yakking, blathering... sometimes.... but when you want info or answers....."just the facts ma'am"...haha!

:lau
Oh, gawd, you crack me up!!
I only scold you because I know you are very articulate...and aware enough not to be offended when I do scold.
Nothing wrong with chatting, yakking, blathering... sometimes.... but when you want info or answers....."just the facts ma'am"...haha!

:lau

Haha I'm glad!

Well thank you, I appreciate that. :) but yes, I definitely do know and know you meant no harm! It's amazing how some people these days will be offended by anything. I mean, I can see for some things, even some things that maybe weren't previously offensive, but now it's like practically any criticism ever is "mean" or "bullying" or "harassment" ridiculous lol

Anyway, yeah that makes sense! That roost one I actually was only going to post the part about how "i made them a roost but they're under it what's wrong" or something like that but then I guess I always want to include every single detail or thought maybe it's important or whatever but really it probably makes it evenn more confusing and hard to read. Especially with dog stuff I would always tell stories or start to ask something then mention something else and the question is way at the end after the confusion haha I gotta start thinking about whether it's really important AND probably ask something first THEN change the subject rather than start to ask and then going on amd on hahaha

Hi Blooie,

My chicks are soon to arrive and I'm going to have my husband make the tunnel frame like you did...I got the same heating pad you used (if it's the large size) and I'm wondering how big the piece of fencing is that you have to make the frame. I will have 13 chicks :)

Hi, Traceaskew! The frame isn't difficult to make and to tell the truth I never measured it. I just grabbed a piece of fencing that looked like it was the same size as the heating pad, bent and arched it so that the back was lower than the front (back is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches off the floor and the front probably about 5 to 6. You want the chicks' backs to be able to come into contact with the pad at least toward the back of the frame. By doing it that way the chicks that want that contact longer or need more heat will find their "sweet spot" and those that want it cooler will move toward the front, where the pad is a little higher. Make sure your brooder is large enough to accommodate 13 chicks, their feeder and waterer and Mama Heating Pad - the "cave" can take up almost 2 square feet.

Hope that helped....since this isn't a scientific system with precise rules and requirements (other than a pad that doesn't turn off after 2 hours) you will be smart to watch the chicks and let them tell you what they need instead of trying to conform them to what you think is best. And if you've read the thread, you know the Broody Brigade membership dues are photos, photos, photos!

Welcome to BYC, by the way!
clap.gif
Glad to have you!

Thank you Blooie! I will certainly post pics when they get here :) I'm getting 3 silkies from a local breeder, supposed to hatch over the next week, and the rest are coming from a hatchery, scheduled to get to me Jan 11. I plan to use my old dog crate for the first week or so and then move them out to the coop! Do you think I'll have much issue with the silkies being a couple of weeks older?

I don't think so, although some may disagree with me. I've put chicks together that were almost 2 weeks apart in age and had no issues. That said, it does depend on individual chicks, as well, so just watch them at first. I've had one or two out of a couple of batches that were little brats! <sigh> This is where it's nice not to have lights on them 23/7 - you can sneak the new chicks in with the the others after dark when they are asleep.

Edited: 23/7? Seriously, Diane? I know the days are getting progressively shorter but sheesh!!

Last edited:
I don't think so, although some may disagree with me. I've put chicks together that were almost 2 weeks apart in age and had no issues. That said, it does depend on individual chicks, as well, so just watch them at first. I've had one or two out of a couple of batches that were little brats! This is where it's nice not to have lights on them 23/7 - you can sneak the new chicks in with the the others after dark when they are asleep.
Good to know :) I'll just keep an eye on them and I'll def try sneaking them in while they sleep :)

Back
Top Bottom