Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Good idea! I will.[​IMG]

2. Traceaskew

Traceaskew Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland

I had this same issue as my coop build was delayed. They were in my house until 3 weeks. Before I put them in the coop, I put them in my garage for about 4 days. During that time it got COLD. My garage gets almost as cold as the outside air so it was down to the mid 30s in there at night. They did absolutely fine! And spent most of the time on top of MHP instead of inside it. They went from there into the coop (no other chickens in there) with extra thick bedding of pine shavings, the heating pad and the waterer has a bird bath heater in it. It's been down into the teens at night and they're doing great!

3. Hholly

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Thanks for that. It makes me feel like this might work out well. Glad yours are thriving![​IMG]

4. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Nice score on the box, Costco must have a ton of big boxes every week given everything they sell is "supersized" in physical size or quantity.

When you say "a breeder in California" are you talking a small breeder or a commercial hatchery? I would think it difficult to get a specific set of breeds from a small breeder, you might be waiting for MONTHS for all the girls of the breeds you want to be laying at the same time. It isn't always easy from big commercial hatcheries that have dozens to potentially hundreds of girls of each breed they sell.

5. Mikejr05

Mikejr05 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Idaho
    This is such an awesome idea. I live in SouthEast Idaho so I know what you mean about cold weather. We are new to the chicken scene and are very excited to get started. I have been worried what to do about a brooder I did not want to use a heat lamp because the chicks will be in my basement for the first 2-3 weeks, before moving them outside. I really worried about burning my house down. This is the best thing I have seen, such a great community on this site.

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Welcome! Glad to have you join us! Those of us who have used Mama Heating Pad are convinced it's the best way to raise chicks, so we look forward to answering your questions and seeing what you have devised for your chicks. Oh, and pictures...don't forget that your membership fee is photos of the babies!

Oh, except for @lazy gardener - she doesn't do photos so she's been granted lifetime membership status without any dues due!

7. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    And when you aren't brooding chicks you can use the pad on your back (again).

8. jennlynn

jennlynn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2015
    Austin, TX
    I have a very cozy brooder box in my house with the momma heating pad in full effect and it's going really well, but I have one chick with a case of the pasty butt. I've soaked a rag in hot water and tried to remove it that way, but I couldn't get it all off. What should I do next? She was pretty upset that I was picking at her wet butt, so I stopped before I could get it all off--it's pretty stuck on there. What should I do? And can they die from the pasty butt?? I'm stressin and sad she's uncomfortable :(

[​IMG]

9. Hholly

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Can you take the chick in your hand and lower it's whole backside in to warm water and soak the poop off?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  10. Traceaskew

Traceaskew Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
    They can die if their vent is plugged. I just had a chick with a case of it last night. It is so hard to get off, but I got a little bowl / ramekin and soaked her butt in warm water for a couple of minutes. Then I went back to wiping it with a damp paper towel and was able to get it all Off. It takes some persistence, and she was not happy with me, but after I got it off, I wrapped her in a towel For a minute to dry her. I per her head and she fell asleep :) She went back under MHP and has been fine since:

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by