Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Mama heating pad to the rescue again.
I am setting eggs as they are laid but the hen is a young one and was not laying daily, so there was a bit of a gap in the first eggs. I have one chick who just would not stop crying and my older chicks would have rather killed it than accept it. So I plugged in the trusty heating pad and cave shaped it in a fish tank once again. The chick is happy for the most part (and thinks my hand is just another part of momma). I have to go make sure she's coming out and getting food and water but at night I just turn off the light near her and make sure she's snuggled up under her MHP. Works like a charm and the chick isn't stressing about being alone. With luck she will have a sibling tomorrow and can show the new chick the ropes.
So once again the MHP works wonderful on solitary chicks. (a while back this worked with a single quail chick too until the others hatched)

wheew I has been over 2 hrs and it is still on and it stays on when it is unplugged. (edit : and plugged back in)
However in the new description on the web site it has an option for a dark blue cover, which was not there when I ordered it on black Friday. The drk cover one says it has auto off.... so who knows what they are selling with the light cover today LOL

What does the controller look like? The one that comes with the Xpressheat has a button that says "Auto Off" (there are 2 LEDs lower down: 2 Hr and Stay On). Confusing because when you turn the pad on it is in 2 hour mode. You push the Auto Off button to turn OFF the Auto Off. Kinda like hitting the Start button on a Windows PC to turn it off. The Auto Off button is a toggle so if you go to Stay On and push the button again, it will go back to 2 Hr

It does sound like what you linked is different than the one you bought or it wouldn't stay on after 2 hours. Manufacturers are really good at "changing/improving" a model but don't necessarily mention that it is NOT the same thing as the old one. Not sure how accurate that 2 hour thing is though. Did you test it at 2 hours, but again at maybe 3 hours?

What does the controller look like? The one that comes with the Xpressheat has a button that says "Auto Off" (there are 2 LEDs lower down: 2 Hr and Stay On). Confusing because when you turn the pad on it is in 2 hour mode. You push the Auto Off button to turn OFF the Auto Off. Kinda like hitting the Start button on a Windows PC to turn it off. The Auto Off button is a toggle so if you go to Stay On and push the button again, it will go back to 2 Hr

It does sound like what you linked is different than the one you bought or it wouldn't stay on after 2 hours. Manufacturers are really good at "changing/improving" a model but don't necessarily mention that it is NOT the same thing as the old one. Not sure how accurate that 2 hour thing is though. Did you test it at 2 hours, but again at maybe 3 hours?
Bruce, the pad she's referring to is different from the ones we've been using. It's the same one @henless found that doesn't need an auto shut off switch because it stays on until you turn it off, and it turns itself back one when the power comes back on. I'm going to be getting one of them, too. Henless plugged hers in to test it and it did exactly what the reps at Sunbeam told her it would do when she called them.

I forgot and left it on all day LOL It was still on. It just has low med high on the slide controller ... no on/off ...

The link I posted was a search for the model number I ordered .

Bruce, the pad she's referring to is different from the ones we've been using. It's the same one @henless found that doesn't need an auto shut off switch because it stays on until you turn it off, and it turns itself back one when the power comes back on. I'm going to be getting one of them, too. Henless plugged hers in to test it and it did exactly what the reps at Sunbeam told her it would do when she called them.
yes mine is a smaller one... cheaper and hopefully will help control chicken math
lau.gif

edit for spelling

Last edited:
I forgot and left it on all day LOL It was still on. It just has low med high on the slide controller ... no on/off ...

The link I posted was a search for the model number I ordered .

Looks like you were right then about the review I quoted. And yeah, I've seen many a review for a different product
he.gif
Is it REALLY that hard to click on the one you bought when you go back to review?

And the price! Wow, darned near free! If you have a chicken math issue, you can get a second one and have them on different settings in case some chicks want to be warmer (under the hen) and some cooler (at the fringe) but still deep in the cave.

Looks like you were right then about the review I quoted. And yeah, I've seen many a review for a different product
he.gif
Is it REALLY that hard to click on the one you bought when you go back to review?

And the price! Wow, darned near free! If you have a chicken math issue, you can get a second one and have them on different settings in case some chicks want to be warmer (under the hen) and some cooler (at the fringe) but still deep in the cave.
I think the problem may be the sunbeam site. The light blue option does not mention auto off.. the dark blue mentions auto off but has a different model number... the reviews are the same for both

Where did you get your BJGs Molpet? Curious what they look like. The 2 BAs I ordered from Meyer have yellow foot bottoms (and had seriously yellow legs which turned black as they matured). I figured someone was just a bit sloppy picking up black and white chicks but the woman at Meyer said they can have yellow feet. Um, well no, not according to the SOP. I wonder if their BAs were a bit small so someone decided to breed in some BJG since they look almost identical. Other than the black legs or if I can see the foot bottom when they are walking, I'm not sure I could tell them from my older BAs from Ideal that never had a bit of yellow on their legs or feet.

Ok question for you seasoned chicken owners! We had a blizzard here in MD and got 32"! Anyway, I just got out to them today since Friday night and they're doing fine. The heating pad quit at some point since Friday. It was off when I went out there, and it won't come back on. I'm trying to fix it, but I'm wondering if they need it? They don't seem bothered at all. They're just over 5 weeks old. And for full disclosure, they're silkies. What do you think?

Where did you get your BJGs Molpet? Curious what they look like. The 2 BAs I ordered from Meyer have yellow foot bottoms (and had seriously yellow legs which turned black as they matured). I figured someone was just a bit sloppy picking up black and white chicks but the woman at Meyer said they can have yellow feet. Um, well no, not according to the SOP. I wonder if their BAs were a bit small so someone decided to breed in some BJG since they look almost identical. Other than the black legs or if I can see the foot bottom when they are walking, I'm not sure I could tell them from my older BAs from Ideal that never had a bit of yellow on their legs or feet.
The woman I got them from bought them at a farm store. I think it was rural king. A lot of people here have posted about they think there were mix ups. Mine do not have yellow bottoms of feet and I do wonder what I have. I figure I will see how big they get. One is bigger than the others. They were from a May hatch and I read it can take 18 months for them to reach full size
edit to add they look like BA or BJG and added pic of frost bitten flock LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom