Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

How does that work?...cant imagine exposing to that kind of water.
Got a pic?

I just set the waterer on top of it. Typically I only do this with my smaller chick waterer. I brood outdoors and sometimes will even do that when its not below freezing to keep the water from getting too cold and chilling the chicks, especially in those first few weeks (just make sure to change the water frequently as that will also support/encourage bacterial growth..

The pad I use is covered in plastic and designed to be able to do "moist heat". It can't be submerged but you can get a bit of water on it with no problem.

Ah...too cold here for that....I use an aquarium heater in a 3 gal bottle with nipples.

Yes, it is much colder there. We usually only get down into the teens on occasion here. I use an aquarium heater in my 5 gallon waterer that is out in the run. The heating pad is only for the one that is in the coop since it doesn't get quite as cold in there.

I'm sure I could wrap a second heating pad around my brooder nipple waterer to keep it liquid if the need arises. And I'd still use less electricity running two heating pads than running a single 175W bulb. But, the flowers all think spring is 4-6 weeks early and winter is over so I'm going for it.

Back
Top Bottom