1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thank you for replying! I actually went on the hunt yesterday at the abondoned property near mine and I found the perfect thing. It's rusty though, so I'm going to clean it and spray paint it with anti-rust paint. My babies aren't due to hatch for 12 more days. So excited to try this!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Nice, what is it?

For those with babies and adults can you all give me how you go about introducing the babies, I know the basics, but I have heard introducing them during free range works great. Things like that or tips.

Here is our set up we have a long enclosed run 10x20 with two coops having access to the run, the main coop and then the smaller coop which is where the babies currently are. During the day we open the main coops flock so they can free range but don't have access to the run. They have access to the coop and the nest boxes. During the day we let the babies out into the enclosed run. Everyone can see each other, nobody is co-mingled yet, I have a Cornish sitting on 8 eggs due to hatch by this time next week. We just reduced the size of our laying flock, due to a pending move, and we have 8 layers and a roo.

Is it realistic to think I can co-mingle the babies and the adults within 12 days? Or is that pushing things too fast? The babies are 5 weeks old now. I have heard that having spots for the babies to hide under is important, having a hole in the wiring or propping the door only big enough for the babies to fit through, introduce during free range time are a few examples. I know everyone does it different and that is why I ask.

Any tips you all would like to offer? Thanks

3. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    So I'm spoiling them. [​IMG] OK I'll let them figure it out tonight but I think they will be in the coop tomorrow night and they can get in the huddle box with MHP so they will be fine.

4. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    It is a ember grate for a fireplace. You place it on your fireplace grate(the one you place your logs on) to hold the embers to the flame and helps it burn longer.

5. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    My guess was something for the fireplace, seen a few similar items in all the out buildings on the property. That should work well, how many are you getting again?

6. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Yes, I pulled it off of a large circular, fire-pit looking thing, it was the door to it. Sorry, that's the best I could do. ;) i bought a wire brush to clean it and spray-paint for it today. My chicks are due to hatch in 12 days! I have 2 chicks that will be exactly 4 weeks old when the new babies hatch. I was thinking of putting a screen divider up in the brooder so they can see each other. Id like them all to be together eventually. Anyone have success with something like that?

7. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    They put themselves in bed under MHP tonight. They got caught in a big thunderstorm today in the hoop coop. They piled up in the huddle box and when it got to a light drizzle they started running around frantically pecking and scratching. Ants were crawling everywhere and they didn't mind getting wet to catch as many as possible.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    3 of my chicks went to a new home today. That leaves 6 of the first brood of 19 left (7 weeks old). There are 22 in the second brood (3.5 weeks old). So, after those 3 left, I opened the dividing door, and let the 2 groups mingle. Every time I'd let one of the bigger ones in with the littles in the past, there was a lot of terrorizing going on. Tonight, I opened the door... and went in for supper! When I came out to check on them later on, most of the littles had gone up into the loft, and gone into their side of the loft where I've been shutting them at night. This batch is so far advanced above any batch of chicks I've ever raised. It blows my mind! Note to self: let the integration happen. It's best if I don't witness it too much!

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

awwww... congrats

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    @lazy gardener I certainly don't mean to shortchange any anyone who has been willing to give this method a try, but I think I'm the most excited about your experience, I know that you were nervous about this whole system while you had eggs in the incubator and I wanted so badly for it to work for you as well as it has for me! But I was also pretty nervous. You and I have been friends for a long time and I didn't want anything to go wrong that might damage your trust this - and, by default - in me.

Don't misunderstand, I'm excited for all of you anytime you share pictures and your experiences with Mama Heating Pad. I know tossing the heat lamps is a huge leap of faith. Yet I know that you had some sincere doubts, LG, because of how much you had riding on these hatches. I'm so happy to hear that integration and the progress of the chicks has gone so well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by