Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Blooie, you know me well enough to know that even if this had failed miserably, that wouldn't affect the bond that we share! And your success with your integration is what gave me the encouragement to throw that door open and let them duke it out last night while I went in for supper! I thought... If Blooie can do it, so can I!!!

love.gif

The Azygous chicks are branching out into new territory! Three days ago I opened one of the portals from the grow-out pen into the small pen where Flo the lame hen hangs out. It was tense until Flo understood that the four tiny chickens that just invaded her space weren't there to beat her up, which is what she's been used to from the rest of the flock.

It took all of one minute for Flo to calm her hackles down and get out of fight mode. The chicks have been making themselves at home in her pen ever since, and Flo is fine with it.

So today I opened the rest of the portals from the grow-out pen into the rest of the run, and the chicks ventured out with confidence. They understood what those holes in the fence were for, and that they represented safety. I did it during a period when most of the feisty young hens were out free ranging, and just the older hens were hanging around the run loafing.

Not only did the chicks explore the run outside their grow-out pen, but they also did a little vertical exploring. They made it up to the shelf under the big rear window in Flo's pen, and ended up back in their pen commandeering my cushion to rest up from all of their exploring.

They're not quite three weeks old, so I closed all the portals except for the one into Flo's pen when I'm not there to keep an eye on the big girls. In the past, when my chicks are four weeks old, they usually have full access to the rest of the run. In another week these four will, too.

Also on the agenda for next week - moving into their coop.
Getting ready to enter the world of the big girls.

This was the big deal? Looks the same from this side.

Let's try it from this portal.

Flo has a good perch in her pen.

Let's see what's up there.

Oooh! A view!

Mom won't mind if we rest up from all that exploring on her cushion.

The Azygous chicks are branching out into new territory! Three days ago I opened one of the portals from the grow-out pen into the small pen where Flo the lame hen hangs out.

Also on the agenda for next week - moving into their coop.
Getting ready to enter the world of the big girls.

This was the big deal? Looks the same from this side.

Let's try it from this portal.

Flo has a good perch in her pen.

Oooh! A view!

Mom won't mind if we rest up from all that exploring on her cushion.
These pictures are so adorable!!!!! I love the one where they are checking out the view. I also love the portals. That is such a genius thing to do for babies. I was wondering, if you have time, could you let us know what they are made of and how you attach them?
Thanks
Marie

The Azygous chicks are branching out into new territory! Three days ago I opened one of the portals from the grow-out pen into the small pen where Flo the lame hen hangs out. It was tense until Flo understood that the four tiny chickens that just invaded her space weren't there to beat her up, which is what she's been used to from the rest of the flock.

It took all of one minute for Flo to calm her hackles down and get out of fight mode. The chicks have been making themselves at home in her pen ever since, and Flo is fine with it.

So today I opened the rest of the portals from the grow-out pen into the rest of the run, and the chicks ventured out with confidence. They understood what those holes in the fence were for, and that they represented safety. I did it during a period when most of the feisty young hens were out free ranging, and just the older hens were hanging around the run loafing.

Not only did the chicks explore the run outside their grow-out pen, but they also did a little vertical exploring. They made it up to the shelf under the big rear window in Flo's pen, and ended up back in their pen commandeering my cushion to rest up from all of their exploring.

They're not quite three weeks old, so I closed all the portals except for the one into Flo's pen when I'm not there to keep an eye on the big girls. In the past, when my chicks are four weeks old, they usually have full access to the rest of the run. In another week these four will, too.

Oooh! A view!

I still love how stunningly clean your chicken coop floors are... a testament to sand... and a diligent house keeper... You. And these two pix are so much my favorites...... Good job.

I take it the porals are just two pieces of wood with a hinge fastened to the wire. the one fastened to the wire has the opening... And of course the wire is cut out too.... Excellent... Do you have another piece of wood on the off site to sandwich the wire between covering all sharp ends?

deb

Thanks for all the compliments!

The portals are made of quarter inch plywood, and hinged to the covers. I wanted a quick way to close them so I could contain the chicks. The poultry mesh holes are cut a bit larger than the portals so the sharp edges lie flat against the board and don't protrude. Perchie, it would certainly be a slick thing to sandwich the poultry mesh between two boards. I just may do that.

The assembled portal is drilled with holes, wire threaded through the holes and then the portals are wired to the poultry mesh. I use a short length of wire as a hook to hold the cover open.

The opening is 5" x 7" and just the right size for chicks until they're almost full size.

Can you tell me how you guys can hold your chicks whit out them trying to get away. I've been holding mine since they were 24 hours old and they try to get away. They hide when I come in the room.
I'm like aart, I don't want poopy chicken feet on me, or the poop either! But I do want mine tame enough to handle if I need to. Some of mine are real tame, some aren't. I think it's just how they are. My last batch of chicks I got from a breeder. There is a world of difference between them and last year's hatchery chicks. They are much calmer and more inquisitive then last years. They are also English Orps, which I have heard are even more calmer than even the American Orps.

I hold my babies every day. Not long, just to pick them up and look them over so that they get used to it. Some like it more than others. I've noticed the ones I'm thinking are roos, holler a bit when I pick them up.

Maybe next batch I'll give this a try. I dunno - I have mixed feelings about it. I do like them to be independent of me, but just once it might be kinda nice to have a chick want to be a buddy for her lifetime. We'll see. But it sure works for you by the looks of the pictures of you sitting in the brooder pen with them. Oh, that's another thing. I have a lot of chickens out there, all ages, all fully integrated, and so clean places to sit are far and few between!
lau.gif
I have a 5 gallon bucket I keep outside the coop. I take it in with me and flip it over to sit down. I'm not able to get on ground level anymore, my RA restricts my joint motions quite a bit.

Blooie, I have a cushion I sit on, and it's propped against the fence when not in use so it doesn't get "used".

I'm considering the nipple watering system. How do you keep it from freezing in, you know, WINTER?
My winters don't get near as cold as yours do, but I used the cookie tin heater this past winter. It worked great with my bucket. Now aart has a great heater system set up for her bucket waterer, it would probably be just the thing you need.

@azygous ~ Love your portals!

Has anyone run across a heating pad that does not have the auto shut off? I would really love to do this, but I would hate for the electricity to surge or go out when I'm not home and then they babies would be cold. My Premier heat plats works great, but it won't last forever and would love to be able to use something a bit cheaper.

Have you given your chicks/chickens facial massages? They love to have their jaw lines massaged, and behind their eyes, their ear lobes, and wattles. They also seem to really like having their hackle feathers stroked with a gentle pulling motion. Some birds are more attention seeking than others. If you want a good friendly bird, get some Dominiques. Mine are always pulling on my pant leg to say hello. One of them will frequently jump up on the perch and ask for some attention. But, I don't often pick them up. I have a cat for that.

Back
Top Bottom