Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I really liked this design idea , its more like a mama hen in design and so I showed it to my husband who is a certified Master A technician for the last 30 years , and he says this type of heating pad over wire set up creates a magnetic field, and that can mess with the chicks in some way..? he says that this type of magnetic field can create something very similar in nature to an MRI...?

If you are living under power lines the measurable radius of the magnetic field is ...

Maximum values may be lower for some utilities

Distribution lines1 to 80 milligauss under the line
Transmission lines1 to 300 milligauss edge of right of way

All electricity carries with it a magnetic field unless its shielded. Any UL device that is sold in the United states is tested and approved for safety. Which I believe includes the amount of electromagnetic field it generates

http://ulstandards.ul.com/standard/?id=60730-1_4

Interaction with the wires will create a magnetic field but it will not create one greater than the pad itself. How many miligauss does he estimate it will create?

https://www.rockymountainpower.net/ed/esi/EMF.html

I worked in the electronics packaging field before retiring... meaning building boxes around computers.... LOL. But I am a gear head not a sparky...

deb

Last edited:
Wire under a heating pad wont increase any magnetic field already present from the heating pad. It doesnt work that way, specifically to the way this setup is made up/used. Not saying it isnt possible, but it would have to be wound/coiled up to increase the field. Single pieces of a wire frame in free air wonnt so it.

yep

Quote:
LOL... i barely remember posting that...
lau.gif

I was just thinking back, as I anticipate Agatha's hatching of her chicks tomorrow, what the last few months have been like compared to last year. It's feels like a bigger deal than a few chicks growing with this system. I've grown too. I am more attuned to what the chicks tell me they need rather than anticipating or imposing my ideas of a perfect "chickhood" on them. They got to experience and learn things that my very first bunch never did because this time I wasn't always thinking, "No, that piece of dirt can't be good for you...let Mama have it." I didn't fuss over one or two degrees in temperature. I was able to ignore them pecking each other on the head sometimes because I didn't read it as some huge psychological trauma I'd inflicted upon them.

How wonderful it's going to be to watch Agatha with a brood of Scout's chicks. I put 9 eggs under her. Late last week that count was down to 4 with one that had exploded in there somewhere. <sigh> I'm so hoping that out of the last 4 eggs, at least one will be a little lady with Scout's spunk and Aggie's good looks. Will she be a good mom, or will she leave the nest shortly after they're hatched as I've read some do. At least if she does that, I won't be in a last minute panic over what to do...I'll simply grab Mama Heating pad, plug her in, and let them grow. They won't miss a beat in their journey to adulthood.

@alibaba You know the drill....pictures pictures pictures!!

Awesome...  I had a four by three by six Aviary...  and the Parakeet hens raised em up all by themselves....  and It all started with My six year old son a laundry basket and a flock of black birds that visited...  there was a beautiful blue and yellow parakeet flocking with them.  Apparently they showed him the ropes of suvival in the wild....

My son saw the parakeet and asked if he could catch it..  I said sure...  so off he went to get the laundry basket creeping down the fence line...  he dropped the basked over the parakeet and I was a goner..... :gig   Now I had to get a cage and feed and paraphanelia....  the parakeet was pretty tame too...  probably glad to get a roof over her head... too.

I worked in a pet store as a young person so I knew what they needed...  I also knew what my son needed was the birds to be outside.  He had asthma then.  So I invested in a small aviary from KW Cages...  and we set the aviary just ouside the plate glass window for the living room.  Parkeet was happy well fed...  But Now I got involved..... But lonely...  So I bought her a girllfirend..  and dang there was a very pretty boy in that cage too. 

I got two nest boxes and perches and ladders and toys....  Oh and I made the perches out of closet rod....  a screw and washer on each end works as a clamp between the bars...  And of course they had to be painted so I painted the perches and nest boxes with flowers and vines.

By the time they were done I had about twelve....   and I was on to a finch empire...

all lliving on my front porch entertaining us with songs and chirps and antics...  The finches had a bigger aviary...  and they were reproducing machines.  I started out with five...  then the button quail... and the Canarys...

I am hoping to have Canarys again when I move home

deb

I take it, that it is warm year round there! Here in MN there is no way a parakeet or Finches survive in the wild or in an outdoor aviary. Maybe nice for June, July and Aug, but all other months are too cold. We can get down to freezing in May and the end of Sept can also (talking overnight) the rest of the months are too cold anytime... And Nov through March it is too cold for ME!!!

Rofl, keep thinking of other things I want to say... I have had a number of parrots. One had a red patch on the front above his bill, red feathers on his thighs, other wise he was all green. I believe he was called a red headed or red footed Amazon. I also had a mated pair of conurs and again the names elude me. They are bigger and brilliant green with black thigh feathers, and if I remember. Correctly they had some black on their face. They were not pleasant to have since they screamed at the top of their lungs unless they were sleeping. Gave them away to a pet store. (Never produced any eggs) the red headed fellow was very sweet and became best buddies with my parakeet Chirps. (They would sit side by side in the parrots cage, Mutt and Jeff) he could have chopped Chirps in half... He was a big parrot with a huge bill. At first I was afraid to let them be together but Chirps insisted... I also had Cockatiels and love birds. I will never have another conur! They have huge vocal chords for smaller parrots (and not musical or pretty sounding)

Quote:

PS: I have never had canaries but want to!! Can't quite figure out how to have them with my cats though!

Rofl, keep thinking of other things I want to say... I have had a number of parrots. One had a red patch on the front above his bill, red feathers on his thighs, other wise he was all green. I believe he was called a red headed or red footed Amazon. I also had a mated pair of conurs and again the names elude me. They are bigger and brilliant green with black thigh feathers, and if I remember. Correctly they had some black on their face. They were not pleasant to have since they screamed at the top of their lungs unless they were sleeping. Gave them away to a pet store. (Never produced any eggs) the red headed fellow was very sweet and became best buddies with my parakeet Chirps. (They would sit side by side in the parrots cage, Mutt and Jeff) he could have chopped Chirps in half... He was a big parrot with a huge bill. At first I was afraid to let them be together but Chirps insisted... I also had Cockatiels and love birds. I will never have another conur! They have huge vocal chords for smaller parrots (and not musical or pretty sounding)
we do get down to freezing but I just put a light bulb in their roost areas.... they all seemed to snuggle together for warmth. During the cold part of winter I dropped down a tarp on the side the wind goes. But pretty much they were like chickens fluffed up when it was cold ate more and used the heat lamps when necessary.

For what its worth we have a wild flock of amazon parrots living in El Cajon....

http://www.cbs8.com/story/27356961/flock-of-parrots-flying-around-el-cajon

They eat palm nuts and backyard fruits and pine nuts.... I have even seen a couple of Green Macaws flying with them.

These are wild birds naturalized to our climate wihich is considerably cooler than their country of origin... They are survivors of parrot smuggling that was happening a few years back. Wild caught so knew how to forage because a tame bird would either starve to death or seek out food from people and get caught. Smugglers could get twenty young birds packed into a spare tire... by getting them drunk on alcohol soaked fruit to keep em quiet. didnt always work.

Most people Know the San Diego Zoo and Animal park are well known for conservation and protecting endangered species... What they dont know is San Diego and the county are hosts to species of plants that cover the world... Many from South America.... and there are some botanical gardens that have the only surviving plants from many countries.... extinct in the wild.

So Our Mediterranean climate has its benefits...

deb

Back
Top Bottom