Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Now, Bruce... I know that you know that there's not likely any one on BYC, or any other place where we might converse who doesn't do those types of things to their body where a heating pad would be useful.

MesMama: Yes, a heating pad would be a wonderful thing to have, even if you have a seasoned broody. You never know when your broody may go AWOL for any number of reasons. Also, if you don't have an incubator, a HP would be great to have for the occasion when Broody leaves the nest but there are a few viable eggs left. In a pinch, I bet you could hatch those last few eggs with the HP.

1 person likes this.
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

3. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Sad, but we've all been there!

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Shoot, I'm STILL there!

5. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

My first mail order chicks kept inside had a gooseneck desk lamp with a regular 60 watt bulb bent over them..and that was turned off at night! Draped a towel over them and wished them the best of luck....never lost a one. And those grew to be the Gnarly Bunch and lived to a ripe old age.

I did wise up after that set of chicks and raised them all outside after that, so newbie at mail order chicks, I was once indeed. [​IMG]

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Don't kid yourself Blooie. If you've brooded your chicks outside, and continue to do so, and if you're pioneering the MHP, doing what "they say" shouldn't be done, I don't call you a noob. And, the day any of us progress from the episodes of second guessing ourselves is the day that we no longer possess the ability to learn and become better at any task we're mastering.

1 person likes this.
  7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Actually, LG, I'm not pioneering, I'm promoting. The pioneering in Mama Heating Pad was done long before I came along. [​IMG]

8. nickel chick

nickel chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    I wish I could pin this so I don't for get this when I will need it.

9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You just did by responding. It will forever be on your computer when you come to BYC as a "subscription". And welcome to BYC and the wacky world of being a human broody hen!

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    <plop> Ahh, back to familiar territory and friendly faces. Guess I'm killing my chickens by giving them cold water - at least the ones I didn't fry with my electromagnetic coil, homemade MRI.

Note to self - don't even go there, Diane!!! Grrrrrrrrr

There's something inherently satisfying about knowing where the unsubscribe button is on here.

I'm a tree, I can bend! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by