Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My chickies will be 3 weeks on tuesday! TIME FLIESSs (and so do they, apparently!)
    They received their eviction notice yesterday, and their move has been set to Sunday. The weather has been mild here, so I expect all to go smoothly.

1 person likes this.
  2. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Everyone you know must be vegetarians or vegans and if they aren't they are hypocrites. The chickens you raise and eat have a MUCH better life than the ones on the shelf in the grocery store. I don't raise meat animals ("emotional vegetarian" daughter) but I have to think your chickens have much more flavor than those raised with thousands of others on the floor of a poultry barn, fattened up as quickly as possible on their feed ration.

To get back to "on point" so Blooie doesn't clobber me for hijacking her thread [​IMG]

Putting chicks under Zorra last night didn't go well, she was the Dragon Lady, out to take my hand off. Chicks spent the night (very quietly I might add though my wife said they did wake up and make some noise at some point) in our bedroom in their HOPEFULLY temporary MHP box.

3. Mims

Mims Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    West Texas
    The babies are here! The babies are here!

With the 9 I already had, Ideal sent my 21 more (I ordered 15). My daughter took one look at the loaded box and whispered, Daddy's gonna kill you! Yes, yes he is.

Sorry, I have to share pics of them, I'm so excited.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naughty little Takeoff is living up to his name this morning. This is how he greeted me:

[​IMG]

Houston, we have a problem..... :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  4. MesMama

MesMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    Oh my!! A box of fluff [​IMG] SO cute!!!

5. perilloux5

perilloux5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I totally understand, I ordered 12 from Ideal and wound up with 23. [​IMG] Luckily I was able to give away the packing peanuts.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mims

May 6, 2013
    West Texas
    My only problem is, I have no idea which ones are the peanuts. I ordered 4 ameraucanas, 4 australorps, 2 silkies, 2 rhode island whites, and 3 white leghorns. I guess we'll see when they get a little older!

7. perilloux5

perilloux5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Ponchatoula, LA
    It does look like they gave you a mixture. Mine were easy to tell, I ordered 3 Amaraucana, 3 White Leghorn, 3 Gold Sex-Link, and 3 Austalorp. They added 11 Buff Brahma. It looks like one of those will be a hen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  8. Mims

May 6, 2013
    West Texas

It looks like we have pretty similar tastes when ordering chicks! :)

9. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Um, is Ideal having a "going out of business" clearance or something? Order 15, get 6 extra. Order 12 and get TWENTY THREE??? Ya know, some people order the number of chicks they WANT. What does Ideal expect you to do with nearly 100% extra?? Sure glad they only sent the 12 I ordered 3 years ago.

10. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    Yeah, if you don't want extras, you have to tell them. There is a small fee, but that's what I did. I ordered 20 & that's what I got. I know that 1/4 of a box holds 25 chicks, so they fill up the box with extras for warmth (and to get rid of cockerels).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by