Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I think that doing these types of actions give a better, less stressful life to the chickens. Since I am raising meat birds and everyone I know thinks I am cruel for doing this, I make it a point to give the best life I can to the chickens. Also, I kind of hope it makes the meat more tender if they are not stressed all the time hehe. Not sure about this point though.

Everyone you know must be vegetarians or vegans and if they aren't they are hypocrites. The chickens you raise and eat have a MUCH better life than the ones on the shelf in the grocery store. I don't raise meat animals ("emotional vegetarian" daughter) but I have to think your chickens have much more flavor than those raised with thousands of others on the floor of a poultry barn, fattened up as quickly as possible on their feed ration.

To get back to "on point" so Blooie doesn't clobber me for hijacking her thread
wink.png

Putting chicks under Zorra last night didn't go well, she was the Dragon Lady, out to take my hand off. Chicks spent the night (very quietly I might add though my wife said they did wake up and make some noise at some point) in our bedroom in their HOPEFULLY temporary MHP box.

The babies are here! The babies are here!

With the 9 I already had, Ideal sent my 21 more (I ordered 15). My daughter took one look at the loaded box and whispered, Daddy's gonna kill you! Yes, yes he is.

Sorry, I have to share pics of them, I'm so excited.

Naughty little Takeoff is living up to his name this morning. This is how he greeted me:

Houston, we have a problem..... :)

Last edited:
My only problem is, I have no idea which ones are the peanuts. I ordered 4 ameraucanas, 4 australorps, 2 silkies, 2 rhode island whites, and 3 white leghorns. I guess we'll see when they get a little older!

It does look like they gave you a mixture. Mine were easy to tell, I ordered 3 Amaraucana, 3 White Leghorn, 3 Gold Sex-Link, and 3 Austalorp. They added 11 Buff Brahma. It looks like one of those will be a hen.

Last edited:
Um, is Ideal having a "going out of business" clearance or something? Order 15, get 6 extra. Order 12 and get TWENTY THREE??? Ya know, some people order the number of chicks they WANT. What does Ideal expect you to do with nearly 100% extra?? Sure glad they only sent the 12 I ordered 3 years ago.

Yeah, if you don't want extras, you have to tell them. There is a small fee, but that's what I did. I ordered 20 & that's what I got. I know that 1/4 of a box holds 25 chicks, so they fill up the box with extras for warmth (and to get rid of cockerels).

Back
Top Bottom