Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    MHP brooder:

[​IMG]

Black Australorp brooder. I failed to get them under her the first night so they stayed in the MHPB for 2 days and 1 night. Got them under her last night.

This morning. She "tents" up really well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All 7 chicks. 2 Black Australorps, 2 White Rocks, 3 EEs.

I got them from Meyer and I don't THINK I had an extra charge for the small number though the shipping was ~$35 so maybe it was just calculated in. There was a heat packet under the nest material in the box.

Since they didn't arrive by 3 PM Tuesday (as the USPS shipping status said was guaranteed) I contacted Meyer on their web page at 4 to tell them they can get their shipping money back and that I had NO idea where the chicks were since the last scan was Cleveland at 12:30 Monday afternoon. They showed up at the PO Wed AM and I got an email from Megan at Meyer about 10 AM so she already knew I had them. Seems though the lady at the USPS "problem center" thinks there is a "by 3 PM the next day money back" guarantee, it is actually 72 hours for live animals. Not surprised Meyer knows that.

I told Megan the chicks were fine and under their Mama Heating Pad (yes, I snuck that in, aren't I the devious one [​IMG]) and was going to stick them under a broody hen. She sent back a link on how to stuff them under and mentioned she had to look up MHP [​IMG]. She thinks it sounds good, who knows maybe Meyer will mention it on their site. Then everyone will start hearing about it, sales of red heat lamps will plummet and Blooie will get a Nobel prize (there is one for greatly improving the early lives of poultry, right?) for bringing attention to the Mama Heating Pad Brooding system.

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    The order confirmation email I got from MPC when I ordered the Tinys came right out and said that even though you are paying for guaranteed delivery, the PO doesn't honor that guarantee with chicks.

Copied and pasted from my email:

TRACKING YOUR PACKAGE
    USPS tracking data may be up to 48 hours delayed, so when you track your package, you may see a message saying "Delivery status information not available." Rest assured the tracking number we provided you is correct. If your package hasn't arrived by late Tuesday, your local post office should have more information, so you might try phoning them if you are concerned. Please also let us know if your chicks have not arrived by 5pm on Thursday.
    EXPRESS MAIL SHIPMENTS
    The USPS does NOT guarantee overnight delivery on shipments containing baby chicks, unfortunately, despite what their website says. Please ignore the guaranteed delivery time frame as well as the money-back guarantee lingo on their website, as it does not apply to your shipment.

ME? The Poultry Nobel Prize? <scuffing feet in sand> Oh, gee whiz shucks and darn! There'd better be a big name plate on that puppy for all of those I stole the idea from! [​IMG]

3. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    I emailed Megan at Meyer with a chick status update (I think they DO like to know that the birds are healthy a few days after they arrive) and kinda pumped up the MHPB method a bit (OK a LOT). I didn't use your name ('cause I didn't ask permission to do so!!) but made reference to "a chicken forum friend" and linked the video that gave you the inspiration. Rest assured, you will be sharing the PNP [​IMG]

I included the 1st and 3rd pictures I posted above. I also noted that it is a "poor man's" EcoGlow. But a lot cheaper and with use other than when one is brooding chicks. That, for many of us, isn't a monthly or even yearly thing. Why pay $170 for an EcoGlow50 that will spend most of the next 20 years in a box way back in the garage when you can spend $37 on a heating pad you can and will use year round! [​IMG] Just don't do anything to your body during chick brooding time that would benefit from a heating pad [​IMG]

4. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Don't worry - when I'm rich and famous I won't forget the "little people" who made it all possible! [​IMG]

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Now, Bruce... Once again, I have to tell you how to think outside of the box. You do realize that the HP has 2 sides, and they are both warm, right? Soooooo... you just use what ever configuration fits the current age of your chicks. You apply one side of the pad to your hurting body part, and let the chicks have the other side. Multi-tasking of equipment at it's best!

6. Mims

Mims Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    West Texas

Me too, lol. I'm missing Marans, but those will be next, once I cull some of the roosters I know I'm going to end up with.

7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I've been disappointed in the color - or lack of color - in my hatchery Marans. Can't tell them from the Red Sex Links.

I meant the color of the eggs. Teehee

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    Here are some pictures for you all! Seems like these babies are growing way too fast.
    First picture - look at the wing feathers on that little one. Remember that I only got them on Tuesday...
    [​IMG]

The chicks have been moved to the big brooder cage.
    Here is the nest box with MHP - it must have been a little warm under there, they refused to go under it. I have been turning it down to 3 during day and back up to 5 for nighttime.
    [​IMG]
    And here is a picture looking the other way. I taped a piece of window screening over the door since I don't want them going into the pen part yet. Tat is where the ramp goes so they can get to the open area, have to get the ramp in place soon too.
    [​IMG]

I have a few chicks that like to stand at the screen and look out. Hopefully they are not escape artists.

9. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    Here are some fresh hatched chicks using their MHP. Since I have only 5 chicks right now I have it in a 10gallon fish tank indoors.
    [​IMG]
    I cut up a old table cloth to use as a towel cover. It's disposable or washable.

[​IMG]
    Whatchoo doing? They got curious and had to see what I was up to.
    You can see I left a bit of the green fabric for a "flap", they easily come and go, pushing it out of the way.

[​IMG]
    oops, I forgot to tape the edges :(

[​IMG]
    snug as a bug

[​IMG]
    I used 1/4" squared mesh, formed into a U shape with the heating pad over it (found one at dollar general for $10ish with no auto off like most of Wal-Mart's had locally). Over the heating pad I put a folded up old towel and then the piece of green fabric tucked in. This is all over a paper towel and shelf liner bottom. I found squeezing the MHP wire into a 10gallon tank over the shelf liner to be problematic. It kept buckling the liner up. But I prefer to use liner for the first few days to make sure everyone keeps their feet under them and I don't end up with any splay legs. (these chicks hatched today)

The 1/4" mesh was heavy enough I did not need any additional framework. When I use it in my big tote bin brooder it sits lower over the chicks, but it made a tall cave since I had to squeeze it a bit to fit in the 10gallon tank.

thanks again Blooie for the wonderful idea and tutorial.

10. Mims

Mims Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    West Texas
    I meant the egg color too. Don't Marans lay the dark brown eggs? I think I'll get those from a breeder, rather than a hatchery. I want super dark eggs. :)

On another note, here's my Chick Cave. They had a heart attack when I put it in, and chicks were jumping ship and racing all over my bathroom when I took the top off. I wish I had recorded it.

All are happy and warm. I used a wire kitchen shelf. As they grow, I'll set it on wooden blocks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by