Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

the packing peanuts made me giggle. Great name for the spares.

My husband found the cave idea and gave me the link. We had a bad hatch out of quail and ended up with one chick. He cried non stop(quail, not hubby) until we built the cave. Once it was finished and he was put in the new brooder (big clear tub) with the cave he got quiet and content. 2 days later we were able to add a few turkeys to it, and luckily the quail took right to them. But all 3 loved it. The turkeys were a hatch for my brother, so when my SIL and nephew showed up to pick the turkeys up the quail had to join them. My nephew loves his quail :)

What a great idea for the mama heating pad! Thanks so much for it.

the packing peanuts made me giggle. Great name for the spares.

My husband found the cave idea and gave me the link. We had a bad hatch out of quail and ended up with one chick. He cried non stop(quail, not hubby) until we built the cave. Once it was finished and he was put in the new brooder (big clear tub) with the cave he got quiet and content. 2 days later we were able to add a few turkeys to it, and luckily the quail took right to them. But all 3 loved it. The turkeys were a hatch for my brother, so when my SIL and nephew showed up to pick the turkeys up the quail had to join them. My nephew loves his quail :)

What a great idea for the mama heating pad! Thanks so much for it.
That's fantastic! Sounds like Mama Heating Pad did exactly what she's supposed to do - provide both warmth AND security. Would love to see pictures of that unusual combination of babies!

That's fantastic! Sounds like Mama Heating Pad did exactly what she's supposed to do - provide both warmth AND security. Would love to see pictures of that unusual combination of babies!
Blooie I would love to put a picture up but all 3 already went to their new home with my nephew. My SIL said he sits with them and talks (peeps, chirps etc) to them and they are all talking back at him. I've promised him more quail when my current eggs hatch out.

Blooie I would love to put a picture up but all 3 already went to their new home with my nephew. My SIL said he sits with them and talks (peeps, chirps etc) to them and they are all talking back at him. I've promised him more quail when my current eggs hatch out.
<snap> Was hoping you'd gotten a shot or two before they went to their new home. Oh, well, now you know how Mama Heating Pad works and you'll be ready for next time in no time!

Been awhile since I posted any picture of the babies....but they sure aren't babies anymore! On the roost are all 8 Tinys and scattered underneath are several of the Littles. So rare to get them this close together and sitting still!!

7 Tinys and a smattering of Littles underneath.

The last one joined them and then there were 8!

It's so hard to believe that these strong, healthy, active chicks were brooded outside with Mama Heating Pad in temps well below freezing.

Last edited:
Nice looking bunch. I have several Buff Brahma that were sent as packing peanuts, actually they sent 10 and I was able to give 8 away to my brother to raise as meat birds. I kept 2, one of which looks to be a hen.

She is the friendliest one that I have, she likes to roost on my arm.

Awww, so cute.

So you ordered cockerels? or it's a coincidence that you have only one hen in all of these?
No, the ones that I ordered were hens. Of the 11 packing peanuts they sent it looks like 1 is going to be a hen. I am just glad that they sexed that one wrong and sent her as a packing peanut as she is the friendliest one that I have.

Last edited:
Um, is Ideal having a "going out of business" clearance or something? Order 15, get 6 extra. Order 12 and get TWENTY THREE??? Ya know, some people order the number of chicks they WANT. What does Ideal expect you to do with nearly 100% extra?? Sure glad they only sent the 12 I ordered 3 years ago.
They do that to provide warmth, and to get rid of unwanted cockerals. At least this way they get a chance to grow before they are put in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom