Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I can't explain it very well, but there's just a different feeling with these chicks than last year's brood. It's a contentment that comes from just being around them. There's the belief that even though they had such an unnatural introduction to the world, starting life in a brightly lit hatchery with thousands of others; even though they were dumped in boxes and spent days traveling; and even though they had never laid eyes on a Mama Hen, the rest of their time as chicks was as natural as it could possibly be. This year I raised chickens instead of little prima-donnas and I actually feel more bonded to them than I did to the ones I raised by the book. Am I crazy?
Big part of it is just that this your second year.
It's easier cause you've been thru all the 'firsts' that you didn't know about, and rectified all the 'myths', just like with the second child.
The chicken learning curve is very steep!

Part is definitely the heating pad vs a light. Chicks are much calmer without a light on them 24/7, no doubt about it.

I can't explain it very well, but there's just a different feeling with these chicks than last year's brood. It's a contentment that comes from just being around them. There's the belief that even though they had such an unnatural introduction to the world, starting life in a brightly lit hatchery with thousands of others; even though they were dumped in boxes and spent days traveling; and even though they had never laid eyes on a Mama Hen, the rest of their time as chicks was as natural as it could possibly be. This year I raised chickens instead of little prima-donnas and I actually feel more bonded to them than I did to the ones I raised by the book. Am I crazy?
I agree, there is a definite difference between light raised, and HP raised chicks. These chicks come running when they see me. And, a few days ago, I had one fly up onto my shoulder for a visit. I do not encourage such visits, and immediately presented my hand, and gave the "step" command, making her step onto my hand, (similar to training a parrot) as my shoulder is too close to my face, and chicken poop is non-discriminatory.

Jack continues to take his parenting duties quite seriously, even though none of the hens do! He calls the chicks for treats, (as well as the hens). Today, I offered some corn cobs, chicken bones with some pretty good pickings left, and then offered some chicken skin broken up into small pieces. He took every tid bit I offered to him, and carried it a little bit, then dropped it for a hen. He never ate a single scrap I was offering, and gave every single piece away. Such a good roo!

You know, you were one of the very first to express so much excitement in the MHP system. You didn't even hesitate. I am beyond thrilled that the results you enjoyed have been so positive. Love the chicks on the swings, but doesn't it seem like their babyhood just sped on by while you weren't looking?

Perusing the forum, it's now time for chick raisers out there to be asking, "They're 5 weeks old.....How soon can I put them out for a few minutes of sunshine?" Or "My chicks are 7 weeks old and our temps are into the 60s and 70s at night. Can I move them outside if I put a heat lamp out there with them?" That isn't a criticism of anyone, mind you. I was there last year and I remember so well being afraid I had put them out too early and I'd go out the next morning just to find 22 chickcicles frozen in a corner. With all the tension I felt trying not to do a single thing wrong, I didn't enjoy them to the fullest and they darn sure didn't enjoy me one bit. Even now I wonder if they survived because of me or despite me.

It is a wonderful thing- to have spent the last 6 weeks almost completely unworried about their well-being and to have them so happy themselves.

Thank you for sharing what could be done, and a thank you for Scout who was the test case.

The heating pad system is so versatile that I found it was extremely useful for the sick chick I had. I happened to have an extra, an old one without the auto-off, and I set the sick chick up under it. It seemed to comfort her and she didn't mind being alone so much. I recommended it to a poster recently who needed to know what to do with a lone chick.

When Blooie first posted about it, I immediately saw the possibilities, and I was off to the races thinking about how I could use the concept. It worked out even better than my wildest dreams!

I am its biggest proponent now, recommending it to people with brand new chicks almost every day.

He took every tid bit I offered to him, and carried it a little bit, then dropped it for a hen. He never ate a single scrap I was offering, and gave every single piece away. Such a good roo!

Thanks for posting this bit. I am new to roos, but everything I read before real life said this was the thing they do. So fabulous you have a good roo!!!!!

Mine does it too. So happy with him. He calls like a momma hen sound....but as soon as one gets to the spot, he turns away! He NEVER eats treats. But he does pick up and drop, pick up and drop as if the hens are too dumb to find it on the ground themselves.

I like that he does this, and he is a great watcher, and he doesn't bother the couple pullets that are free range integrating.

This must be a good boy!!!

Can you keep your good roo?

The heating pad system is so versatile that I found it was extremely useful for the sick chick I had. I happened to have an extra, an old one without the auto-off, and I set the sick chick up under it. It seemed to comfort her and she didn't mind being alone so much. I recommended it to a poster recently who needed to know what to do with a lone chick.

When Blooie first posted about it, I immediately saw the possibilities, and I was off to the races thinking about how I could use the concept. It worked out even better than my wildest dreams!

I am its biggest proponent now, recommending it to people with brand new chicks almost every day.
I used it in the bottom of a sick cage in the laundry/garage. needed some buffering, but handy, not HOT and BRIGHT. Just enough to keep the chill off.

Last edited:
Nervous, New chicks coming tomorrow, 30.... All was well before...and now I have a routine. But still nervous.

If I got 26 "shipped" chicks, and 23 made it to 9 weeks, beautifully feathered, no cocci, poopy butts, etc,
I should be able to recreate this again right?

Just a word of confidence or caution would be appreciated.

@alibabba Since you have done it once, then doing it again should be a breeze.
cool.png
you are an old hand at this.

Are you going to use MHP or conventional heat lamp with your chicks?
I am enjoying my first batch of little peeps so much! With MHP, I do not worry about them getting chilled or anything since they are out in the garden shed.

Thanks for posting this bit. I am new to roos, but everything I read before real life said this was the thing they do. So fabulous you have a good roo!!!!!

Mine does it too. So happy with him. He calls like a momma hen sound....but as soon as one gets to the spot, he turns away! He NEVER eats treats. But he does pick up and drop, pick up and drop as if the hens are too dumb to find it on the ground themselves.

I like that he does this, and he is a great watcher, and he doesn't bother the couple pullets that are free range integrating.

This must be a good boy!!!

Can you keep your good roo?
Oh yeah. But, shortly after posting this, he was sowing his wild oats a bit too freely. He was being overly aggressive in his romantic pursuits, so I had to send him to rooster jail. I think he felt he had to prove something, as there are a couple of his sons reaching sexual maturity. (my grand daughter calls them "the Jack-sons!") And they are handsome, well formed boys. Would make a good replacement for Jack, if it ever became necessary. And, I expect that he will teach them the ropes! I've heard that roos raised in a multi-age flock are particularly well mannered, because if they are going to get any piece of the romantic action, they have to earn it!

Alibabba, you'll do just great with your next batch of chicks!!!

One more testimonial about the superiority of the MHP for producing super chicks! My 13 y.o. G.S. took some scraps out to the flock last night. This is a boy who has nothing to do with the chickens, and spends most of his time in his electronic world. He came in, and commented that "those little ones sure are friendly! How come?"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom