Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Hey gang, was gone for vacation for a destination wedding in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. I am just trying to get caught up with the thread, I am off to read the full 50-60 posts you all posted while I was away. Looks like everyone has been busy and we have lots of new people. I will be back when done and will post an update for our now 7 week olds soon to be 8 weeks!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    OMG, you might to be onto something! Our whole flock is from Meyer (7 different breeds) well our Fiesty Fifteen are all from our Meyer mixed flock hatch and they were raised on MHP from day 9( I think they were nine days, I might be off a few days). Anyway, maybe I should contact the person you dealt with? I could contact her and let her know about our hatch and using the MHB. We could hope that Meyer would recognize at that point to recognize not just Blooie but also Bee,Aart and others that blazed this trail before most.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  3. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    The "second child" part got my attention since it is true but also because my younger daughter (now 20) and I went to Costco yesterday. There was a guy wiping down the seat of the cart with disinfectant towels (I think) from a container nearby before he put his son (I'm guessing about 2) in it. I mentioned to my daughter that we must have been terrible parents and it is amazing she and her sister are alive since we just plopped their butts into the carts. I wonder if that was the guy's first kid and if he will do the same for the second after he sees that the first doesn't die from eating dirt and doing whatever else he gets into.

@COChix The email exchange was with Megan H. from their generic email address: [email protected]

She did say they are always happy to see how the birds they send out progress (though I suspect it would be overwhelming if they heard from even 1%!!).

This is part of her last email. "this setup" refers to MHPB and I had mentioned it was sort of a "poor mans" EcoGlow but a lot cheaper and more versatile since the pad has uses beyond heating chicks. I don't know where she looked MHP up but if she Googled it, I suspect she ended up here since the first five results are right here on BYC:

"Thanks so much for the follow up and more details for this set up. EcoGlow is something we’ve offered in the past and may carry again, even still I suggest it to those who are concerned with fire hazard. This set up is something I will be sure to mention this option as well because we make sure to let customer’s know all their options to pick what would be best for them and still great for their chicks health."

So it might be of value for you to send some pictures and comments about the MHPB vs red heat lamps on 24x7 for a month. I named no names but did link the video that inspired Blooie to take a chance.

I am, EVERY day, amazed at how much time my now 8 day old chicks spend NOT under there surrogate mama. Just how did the "must be kept in 90-95F temps 24x7 for the first week then 85-90F the second week ... thing get started???? It is SO not how they live with a mother hen! MHPB is SO how they live with a mother hen. Go under in the dark to sleep and get warm, come out into the ambient temps whenever you want.

Zorra cracks up scratch for them to eat, plays the live version of MHP, she scratches around in the pen to see if there is anything for them to eat. It is still no warmer than 65F out in the barn. She let them come out this morning and I was a little concerned they might not be able to get back in since the sill is ~4x their height. NO PROBLEM! Flap those little wings and jump up, right back in the pen.

[​IMG]

I took the 2x4 wire top off for the picture, the hole in the wall on the left goes to the enclosed community nest box (you can see it above Zorra in the 1st picture) now used by only one of the Anconas. I haven't see the "kids" use their bleacher seats yet but I know my originals 3 years ago got up on a short perch I put in their bathtub brooder. I made this figuring they would like to get up on it and maybe even get the idea of roosting.

[​IMG]

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Gee, this is exciting! Wouldn't it be great if we could get some coverage for this method? I wouldn't even mind if they used the video I posted of the chicks so people could see how well they sleep at night, and how quickly they pop out when the lights come on!!

Thanks for the endorsement! But I still think the best endorsement is the pictures everyone has posted here of their setup and their chicks. We've made a lot of people who initially blazed this trail proud, I think!

5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Discussing mixing younger chicks in with the main flock/coop, would you mind if I shared just the pictures of your portal door on another thread?

6. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    I lost one of my chicks last night to a raccoon ;( the sweet Buff Orpington, Lucy. The RIR is injured so I have her in a dog crate where she can see everyone else. That's all she needs is to be able to see them, right? She has feather loss but no bleeding but the others are pecking at her pink bald spot.

I might mention that I've moved them all in for the night so nothing can get them. I'm pitiful.[​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Not at all! Be my guest!

8. tash

tash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    How tall should the opening be? I made one but I am having trouble keeping the opening up and even my 5 day olds have to duck at the entrance. I don't have the large wire, I only have regular hardware cloth. I tied the bottom (so I made a half circle and closed it with fabric so it looks like a D with the flat side down) to keep it from falling completely flat.

So I guess I have two questions: How tall should it be? And how do I get it to stand up and not be flat? Should I just build something out of wood?

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You'll need to build something from what ever you have available or can buy that definitely can not collapse over the chicks. IMO, this is the biggest risk for folks using the MHP. One reader had a chick get stuck between the fabric covering the wire and the heating pad, and did not discover it until after the chick had died. IMO, build a solid frame from wire, attach the HP, and then enclose the entire frame and HP in a pillow case or similar fabric that covers the whole thing, . I used a pillow case and taped it securely in multiple locations with painters tape. Chicks spend a lot of time studying their environment to find ways to kill themselves.

10. tash

tash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    Thanks. I don't want to buy anything else, if I put too much money into it I might as well just buy the plate heater thing. I don't have any wire besides chicken wire and hardware cloth. I think I need to build a frame from wood to support the wire, but I don't have anything to wrap around the whole thing so it needs to be open, maybe skip the wire or sandwich it tightly. Hmm that could work. sandwich it between two wire peices then frame it with wood to create a flat 'plate', attach that to posts to hold it up like a lean to shed, \ like that. That should keep it from falling or from chicks getting themselves stuck. It wouldn't be as cozy as a cave, more like the commercial version.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by