Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Or it can be as simple as a cardboard box with dowls poked through the sides to form support for the pad... When done brooding toss the box and hang up the pad and rods.

Cardboard is surpsisingly insulative.

deb

1 person likes this.
  2. alibabba

alibabba Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop

Yes, Yes! Someone should come up with something a little more reasonably priced to really market, or people will just go buy a heating pad. They can forget about selling lights, thermometers, cocci and stuck bottoms, pens and all the equip and meds that go with it! I would buy a seriously industrial size, collapsible pen (chick sized openings, with a little house including MHP) So I could just put the little stinkers right outside! (After a cursory few days to review health and wellbeing (ie watch chicks constantly lol)

3. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    Oh my Gosh, I always tell about my first kid, clean clean, room had to be perfect and ready....by #4 kid, I was letting them chew on the boxes of frozen veggies and laughing at dirty looks. Room? Do we have a drawer, some diapers and a couple outfits, ok we're good.

Dirt is good for building immune systems. Only kid with any hint of allergies...my first. hmmm.

Also, all that heat seems really unhealthy, I too wonder how all that got started? Maybe for maximum rapid growth for factory layers and meat birds? I prefer "Natural" all the way round. Anyone ever hear of a broody hen having a chick with a poopy bottom?

4. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    awesome, same experience here. I gave them roosts, they roosted, as they were ready. I had to put a few them in the coop the first night, Aftte that, coop trained. It was too easy!!! So easy I have a new batcheroo.

5. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    Using Mama heat pad. There are so many chicks, I thought about getting 2 pads, but they throw so much heat when they sleep. All seems to be well... And thank you for the encouragement! I don't like the lamp. It just seems unnatural. MHP from day 1. They are in the house for a little so I can try to watch to see if anyone has any difficulty getting to food or water. I think I will put them out sooner rather than later. They will have outgrown the baby pool and I saw someone get completely run over terribly today. They need more space.

6. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    hey, for some reason we all think, that, "It'll be okay" for a little or just for now or whatever and something happens. But we learn, hard.

So sorry for your loss. :(

Glad you have a survivor.

Being pecked probably isn't fun though, some blu kote or something?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  7. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    I washed her and slathered her in antibiotic ointment. When I washed her I checked closer and she's just pink where the feathers came out and no cuts or anything!

Yeah the whole hoop coop will be covered in hardware cloth as soon as it gets here (had to order it online), until then they will be outside during the day and inside at night. Not the best situation but it will do until Monday.

So in the spring we will get another buff orpington or two or three.....and break out MHP again. Unless we find one of the others going broody and then we will get some orpington eggs.

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I haven't disappeared - still here but on vacation so check ins will be kinda sporadic. I'm back in South Dakota visiting my family.

My brother Ron and sister Bev live on a farm near here and just got chicks a few weeks ago. I was showing them the MHP system on here and although it's too late for them to use it, I'm hoping they'll want to try it with their next batch. I'm also going to encourage them to join BYC. Bev's run the farm by herself for over 20 years but her focus has been the horses. Brother Ron moved out there a year ago and this is their first venture into chickens. So we're going out there tomorrow to give them some pointers. They're interested in everything from nipple waterers to coop security. I love them both dearly but I'm kinda nervous about going out there since SD is a confirmed AI state and Wyoming isn't. I'll be very careful about what I do there and just have to hope that they'll fully understand the precautions so Oleo Acres stays bio secured.

Anyway, I'm around but not around for a few more days and I know if we have new folks visiting here all of you can answer any questions they have.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  9. txangel55

txangel55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2015
    Chicks coming Thursday!

10. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Hola gang, been a minute since I have posted update on our MHP raised chicks, who are now eight weeks old. They are really young pullets at this point, they have been integrated during the day with their parent flock. Introductions were a snap and went off without a hitch. They have been free ranging with the flock I the day but have been putting themselves away with Mamacita and her three chicks in the small coop. They are one big happy family, minus the fact that they are crowding mama out. So tomorrow they will be blocked from access to the enclosed run and small coop so they will be forced to free range all day and roost with the adults. Here are some shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by