Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Well done!!

2. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Thanks Blooie, hope you are enjoying your vacation!

3. alibabba

alibabba Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    I have 17 week + olds outside for a few days now. They are in the little dog house coop and 100sq ft dog run. With their heat pad on I think 3? They come flying out in the am, use the roost branches, mingle around very little peeping very relaxed.

They don't go to bed with the pad, but some are on or under in the am. They must really use as they need. Not during the day at all it's been in the 80's - 90's, they choose shade or snooze in the sun.

The interesting part is I just got shipped 3-4 week olds yesterday, same set up different pen. They were in a brooder where they came from.

They had a few hours last night, and still this morning, they have not come out of the little house! They will be sooooo happy when they do! Can't wait to watch them....outside!

4. txangel55

txangel55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2015
    I want to thank you for this thread! We got our first ever baby chicks yesterday and they are doing great under their MHP! I went out to see them this morning and they all ran out from under and started eating and drinking. I love that we aren't having to use a heat lamp and that they seem so content.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Makes it super easy, doesn't it... almost like having a broody hen.

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Gotta love Mama Heating Pad!

7. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    Made my mhp, ready for the 3 royal palm turkey eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow. I did have 4, but one pipped in the narrow end it had pipped under the egg and was the hole was stuck to the shelf liner, tried assisting but it suffocated in the membranes. I am really sad. I found it while adding water. This thread was very helpful. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  8. Semper

Semper Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2015
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is that thing flexible or stiff?
    I;m sure you could prop it up on a wire rack or a just couple pieces of wood if it's stiff.
    Not sure how long 25 will fit under that size.......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Semper

Semper Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2015
    the big one isn't flexable haven't opened the little one as its summer but im guessing it isnt flexible either! we had put it on wire rack for storage to keep it off the ground and put shingles on it to keep them off of it and it would stay clean. they could lay and stand on it but not under it as it was for big chickens.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by