Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Murphy here again! My Eight week old chicks are out of the brooder, out of their pen and integrated with the 7 bigs that I had. The transition went well by using the portals so the little ones had a place to run to if they got scared or harassed by the bigs. Everyone gets along pretty well, a couple of the bigs are a bit harsh with the littles but the littles have learned to just get out of the way and no one has been injured. Just the usual pecking order kind of thing. I removed the littles outside run pen, where they had been sleeping, three days ago. They caught on pretty fast that going into the coop at night was the right thing to do. Only they are not getting on the roost, they pile up inside a couple of nest boxes. I have gone out and placed them on the roost for the past three nights But his will get old!!! Fast.
So am looking for ideas for how to get the littles to go onto the roost at night. I am very glad they are going in the coop but I can't block off the nests as the bigs are still laying.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any ideas. I wouldn't mind them just sleeping on the floor in a pile if they wanted, I just don't want them to get the idea that the nest boxes are for sleeping.
Murphy

Murphy here again! My Eight week old chicks are out of the brooder, out of their pen and integrated with the 7 bigs that I had. The transition went well by using the portals so the little ones had a place to run to if they got scared or harassed by the bigs. Everyone gets along pretty well, a couple of the bigs are a bit harsh with the littles but the littles have learned to just get out of the way and no one has been injured. Just the usual pecking order kind of thing. I removed the littles outside run pen, where they had been sleeping, three days ago. They caught on pretty fast that going into the coop at night was the right thing to do. Only they are not getting on the roost, they pile up inside a couple of nest boxes. I have gone out and placed them on the roost for the past three nights But his will get old!!! Fast.
So am looking for ideas for how to get the littles to go onto the roost at night. I am very glad they are going in the coop but I can't block off the nests as the bigs are still laying.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any ideas. I wouldn't mind them just sleeping on the floor in a pile if they wanted, I just don't want them to get the idea that the nest boxes are for sleeping.
Murphy
I have a couple main roosts and a junior roost at one end of coop(that is in the partition area that can be walled off for brooding/integration), also have a temporary roost that goes up(lower than mains) pretty quick with a couple screws if needed. So you might want to put up a temporary roost in coop for them until they get older and integrate more fully. Not sure the kind of roosts you already have or if you have room for another.

I installed a hinged cover on the nest bank, I close it an hour or so before roost time(most are done laying by then) then flip it back open after dark when I lock up the pop doors. That has worked out really well.

Hi there!

So, I've been reading through this monster of a thread, and I read the first and last ten pages and then a whole swatch through the middle. @Blooie said something way back that caught my attention, about using an electric blanket and an oven rack. Was this tongue-in-cheek or would it really work? I already have a heated throw with three heat settings and no auto-off. I want to try incubating this fall and am probably going to try to set about three dozen, so a bigger warmer would be perfect!

Hi there!

So, I've been reading through this monster of a thread, and I read the first and last ten pages and then a whole swatch through the middle. @Blooie said something way back that caught my attention, about using an electric blanket and an oven rack. Was this tongue-in-cheek or would it really work? I already have a heated throw with three heat settings and no auto-off. I want to try incubating this fall and am probably going to try to set about three dozen, so a bigger warmer would be perfect!

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just make sure it is a waterproof electric blanket for safety. I bought a heating pad that has a sponge so it can be moistened for moist heat. I bought it because I figured it might be safer for little poops or if the water should get spilled on accident.

The power cord detaches and you can throw the whole thing in the wash, so I'm pretty sure it's waterproof
big_smile.png

The power cord detaches and you can throw the whole thing in the wash, so I'm pretty sure it's waterproof
big_smile.png

We had some like that. They were washable, but warned against using until completely dry and had a warning about not spilling anything on them for risk of electrical shock. Later I bought a new one and it said it was waterproof so if something spilled on it when in use it didn't pose a shocking hazard. That is all I was thinking of. :) I would hate for something to happen to one of your babies. :)

I've been following the thread for awhile, and am just about ready for the 25 chicks coming thursday morning.

Questions:
1. I read but can't remember or find the post: the printed side of the pad is the hotter side?
2. How far in advance of the chicks arrival do I turn on the mhp? I can do it overnight, or I can do it 3 hours before I get back home with them.

I set a 4'x1' grate up with giant carriage bolts, and put two king sized pads on top lengthwise - a long rectangle. I know it might be better to put the pad on the bottom, but the grate is like a shoebox lid - I thought the 1 inch sides would keep the chicks from trying to squirrel between the pad the grate because they would have to get on top, dig under the hay in order to get trapped.

I"m bringing empty water bottles with me when I pick them up - I can fill the bottles with hot water when I get there as it is predicted to be a bit chilly (low 50's) and the feed store is about an hour or so away.

My 2 babies are 4 weeks old and integrating with the 3 bigs. They have a "panic room" with portals and food and water, but don't us it much. Can't believe how fast this happened. Love MHP and having them in the coop the whole time. One of my bigs, even lets them pull on her comb. Have to say, first night I freaked out because I couldn't find the babies for bedtime to usher them from the run into the coop. They were already tucked in! Big girls waited another 1/2 hour. Now the babies are even using a junior roost.

Back
Top Bottom