Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Quote: @Jensownzoo Can you move them at night, hold their wings down like a chicken?
@perchie.girl *** is a 'bacon head'?

bacon head is what they look like when they are mostly fledged and getting their Casque but they still have stripes on thier heads.....

deb
Ohhhhh.....Haha!!!
Thanks, Sorry, Obviously I am guinea ignorant ;-p

Not sure what happened with my last post...here are 6 of the 16 chicks. 7 days old today!

Here is my installation:

Mama Heating Pad: installed on 7/18. Put in coop at 3:00 pm, no chicks interested in being underneath (94 degrees in coop). Waited until after dark when temps were hovering around 80 degrees in coop at 9:00 pm, and when I went into the coop, two clump of chickens were huddled together, on the sand floor...snoozing. No light in coop at this time, except the lantern I brought in with me. Set MHP to 4 with 'continuous-on' function, waited a few minutes for cave to warm up, then gently added each chick to middle of cave...only one tried, and not very earnestly, to come out and then all 16 were under and they quieted right down. Turned off the light and said good night.

Build: 2x4" wire fencing cut at 14"x24", added heat pad to inside of frame using flat bungies, put the whole thing into a fleece pillow case, taped the end shut, covered the top with the last of the Press n Seal, put a folded towel on top of cave and a folded fleece dog bed cover underneath (sand on floor of coop), to help add warmth and add lift for the chicks.

We have lift-off.

I opened coop pop door for the first time (8 days old), now that I have a day off to monitor them. Also, while I was working in the coop hanging up tools and what-not, I had the bril idea to make the bottom "shelf" under the brooder the new MHP area. Further away from the pop door, closer to where the electricity comes in, wasted space, otherwise. Win-win-win!

I left room on top for the chicks to be up there if they wanted...

Tonight (the second night using the Mama Heating Pad): around 7:30 pm a big thunder/lightening/rain storm came through and the chicks were nervously squeezing themselves between the feeders and the wall of the coop, chirping loudly. I turned on the heating pad, picked up each one and put them in the "cave", and said good night. A couple of hours later, I opened the door to the coop, and everyone was still in the cave, not a sound to be heard. Win.

Back
Top Bottom