Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Do you know how much easier it is to just have them outside than to bring the outside in?
1f609.png
I'm sure you're poking fun a bit, but I'll address it anyway.

At this point it definitely isn't easier to just have them outside than to bring in a bucket of soil and a few pieces of wood. I definitely don't have a run that is accessible to the brooder and where I wouldn't have to monitor them, among other considerations. (I am taking them out into a little temporary makeshift pen occasionally when I can be with them.)

Next time I brood chicks (this was my first, and I have no adult chickens) I'm planning to have the brooder set up with access to a portion of the chicken run that's partitioned off to separate them from the hens but where they will interact through fencing. At the same time it (the brooder) will also be right next to the coop (both in the barn) and provide the same. This will provide lots of good stuff for them outside, like logs, dirt, sunshine and exercise.

And this will allow an integration plan with small chick doors both in the run and in the coop.

But right now the run isn't complete (neither is the coop, though close).

I have them in a area in the main area of the house where we watch tv and kitchen. I have the lights on at night. I want them to settle down because I thought i should mimick as if they were outside. Sleep at night up at daylight. Should I do something different?
Not if it's working. If you can't move the brooder to a spot where they can have total darkness, you sure want to do something. I thought you were doing it for additional heat.
hide.gif

@Nathan J I'm definitely poking fun a bit. You've put a lot of effort into giving your chicks the most chickeny experience possible indoors and I was very surprised to see a newbie recognize the benefit. Most start off with a bland, sterile environment and a lot of fear.

@Nathan J I'm definitely poking fun a bit. You've put a lot of effort into giving your chicks the most chickeny experience possible indoors and I was very surprised to see a newbie recognize the benefit. Most start off with a bland, sterile environment and a lot of fear.
Um, yep...that would be me.
lau.gif

Last edited:

Well thank you for the compliment. I've always been a bit of a naturalist (I'm 53, so no spring chick!), and I've done a lot of gardening, composting, etc so I appreciate all that. Also I've learned a lot over the last several years about many things relating to humans (i.e. nutrition, our gut biota-and total body biota, the value of exposure to nature/dirt/sunshine/etc for children-and adults, and on and on.) And therefore the value of these things to all animal life. This is the knowledge set that immediately made me recognize the awfulness of keeping baby chicks under light 24/7 and thus embrace the MHP method very quickly.

Yes, I cringe when thinking about the sterile little boxes that people raise their chicks in. Bored to death, awake all hours, stressed out, etc. (and sometimes drop dead for "no reason"). And then wonder why their chickens are so neurotic, edgy, sometimes mean, etc. I realize it's mostly done out of ignorance and adherence to authority (it's what all the "experts" tell them to do!), but it's still a shame.

Last edited:
I thought you were doing it for additional heat.
hide.gif
Yeah, I did that when they were in the garage with 30-40 deg temps. That allowed the temperature in the (temporary) box brooder to get up in the 50s. That worked well for their first few days. But I certainly wouldn't do it if inside the house. The temp there is plenty warm enough.

Well thank you for the compliment. I've always been a bit of a naturalist (I'm 53, so no spring chick!), and I've done a lot of gardening, composting, etc so I appreciate all that. Also I've learned a lot over the last several years about many things relating to humans (i.e. nutrition, our gut biota-and total body biota, the value of exposure to nature/dirt/sunshine/etc for children-and adults, and on and on.) And therefore the value of these things to all animal life. This is the knowledge set that immediately made me recognize the awfulness of keeping baby chicks under light 24/7 and thus embrace the MHP method very quickly.

Yes, I cringe when thinking about the sterile little boxes that people raise their chicks in. Bored to death, awake all hours, stressed out, etc. (and sometimes drop dead for "no reason"). And then wonder why their chickens are so neurotic, edgy, sometimes mean, etc. I realize it's mostly done out of ignorance and adherence to authority (it's what all the "experts" tell them to do!), but it's still a shame.
I'm right there with you. One of my pet peeves is all these kids in my neighborhood who do not step outside! Its crazy. I even have one mom who will not let her kids go in the woods like ever! Why? Why? How will you learn to build a fort, dig for worms, explore....I can't imagine a childhood not filled with the wonders of nature. My kids are older now but still enjoy the outdoors, my son especially is an avid fisherman. Just my humble opinion but you can learn alot from exploring outdoors, taking the canoe and just paddling around without your parents hovering over your every move. There is not a day that goes by that we are not outside for at least a little bit. Even just sitting outside reading, watching the koi pond, working in the yard or just sitting. Garages have ruined the neighborhoods. Most come home straight into their garages and they never even breath the fresh air.....maybe they are vampires, after all
tongue2.gif

So now that my tirade is over
rant.gif
the point I'm trying but failing to make is if its good for kids its gotta be good for our chicks right? My chicks are loving feeling the sunshine, exploring the log and sod. Also, what was really cool was a big leaf was blown by the window and cast a shadow as it fluttered by and one chick did this alarm call and they all looked up and froze. It was so cool how the instinct just kids in.

Here is a quick video of my chicks enjoying the sun:

0.jpg

oops, hijacked again....I really have to stop doing that

Last edited:
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
I just want to thank everyone on this thread for just continuing to innovate and improve a great idea. I started with an ecoglow before I found out about the MHP, but now that I'm brooding 20+ chicks at a time I finally built my own larger MHP. Just put my month old chicks outside today and was wondering what number I should turn the heating pad up to.

Back
Top Bottom