Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Yes
1f600.png
I realize it would be easier to start them outside but it would be way less fun. Newbie chick momma and really enjoying watching them and learning their behaviors. Also we had a blizzard last week and I have been unable to do my last minute things to complete my coop somfor their safety they are going to stay inside for a bit longer. But of course I want them to be healthy. I took people's advice here and did not feed medicated chick starter but I think it's time to introduce some grass/dirt/logs etc to build up some immunity and give a little grit from the soil. So I just went outside got a rotten log from the woods and dig through the snow for a bit of sod. My question is do I have to let it dry out before I put it in the brooder? I hear so much about making sure they have a clean dry environment. So should I let it dry out or should I just add it to the brooder even though it is damp from snow melt and cold? Thanks. Here is a pic of the log and sod

MM: BB has the same attitude as you! I want the chicks to go to the coop as soon as they are "stable", like 2 days or ? BB wants a week of "mother henning" the chicks, sigh. She will probably win this mini battle.
tongue.png

Thank you all for my last post. It helped. I now have 3 I week old BR and I have the setting on 6 and I noticed just before dark the all calm down on top by morning 1 is on top and 2 in the MHP. So today I turned the xl heating pad to 5 of the six settings. It's about 94degree F in the back. I'm will try the previous post and gradually turn the blanket over the cage( I have them in my house by outside sliding door) and try scooting them in this time so they settle down just before I close the blanket fully. Thanks y'all for the info.

My ? Today: I'll be taking on 4 more but they are about 2. 1/2 weeks old where my others are 10 days can I mix them together today.? And should I turn down the heat pad to 4( xl heating pad) I just turned it down today seeing the behavior of the one chick sleeping on top for 2 nights close to the u shape edge to huddle near?
The fist pic is 10 day old.
Thank you again for posting. I'm a chicken green horn
1f60a.png

Last edited:
@Merrymouse, clean dry, warm, draft-free... All grossly overstated. Yes, they need these things but it's not like you have to bubble wrap them, either. I vote toss them in. FWIW, mine were thrilled when it snowed and jumped on and off the snowy log in the run repeatedly... like it was fun.

Last edited:
My ? Today: I'll be taking on 4 more but they are about 2. 1/2 weeks old where my others are 10 days can I mix them together today.? And should I turn down the heat pad to 4( xl heating pad) I just turned it down today seeing the behavior of the one chick sleeping on top for 2 nights close to the u shape edge to huddle near?
1f60a.png

Yes, mix them now. They don't start the pecking order until around 4 weeks and additions are VERY easy before that happens. I added one a week after the others and they acted like the new chick had always been there. And you should check that the height isn't too low for them to be comfy underneath but it's definitely possible in a heated house that it's a bit too warm now.

Thank you all for my last post. It helped. I now have 3 I week old BR and I have the setting on 6 and I noticed just before dark the all calm down on top by morning 1 is on top and 2 in the MHP. So today I turned the xl heating pad to 5 of the six settings. It's about 94degree F in the back. I'm will try the previous post and gradually turn the blanket over the cage( I have them in my house by outside sliding door) and try scooting them in this time so they settle down just before I close the blanket fully. Thanks y'all for the info.

The fist pic is 10 day old.
1f60a.png
I'm a little confused about why you need a blanket over the cage.

I have them in a area in the main area of the house where we watch tv and kitchen. I have the lights on at night. I want them to settle down because I thought i should mimick as if they were outside. Sleep at night up at daylight. Should I do something different?

@Merrymouse , clean dry, warm, draft-free... All grossly overstated. Yes, they need these things but it's not like you have to bubble wrap them, either. I vote toss them in. FWIW, mine were thrilled when it snowed and jumped on and off the snowy log in the run repeatedly... like it was fun.
I agree completely. The dampness of that particular spot won't hurt them. If the whole brooder had a damp floor then that would be a different case. They'll have a great time pecking away at that rotting log, searching for insects, etc. In fact I need to try to find a nice damp, rotting one.
smile.png

@Merrymouse , clean dry, warm, draft-free... All grossly overstated. Yes, they need these things but it's not like you have to bubble wrap them, either. I vote toss them in. FWIW, mine were thrilled when it snowed and jumped on and off the snowy log in the run repeatedly... like it was fun.
Thank you for all your continued help. I was hoping you'd say that
yesss.gif
I want to watch them explore the log and sod. More chick tv for me
pop.gif

Hijacked the MHP thread again.....oops
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom