Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

You make the cardboard look tempting, but I think I’ll stick (ha ha) with my Press ‘n’ Seal. I lay the towel out on a hard flat surface and firmly press it down, then fold it under the edges of the towel and press that under too. I have to really pull to get it off when it’s time to change it. I like the softer surface of the towel, and have never had an issue with it pulling up or the chicks getting bits of it off. If I ever did have a problem, I’m open to change, but what I use - and will continue to use - has barely deviated from my first setup. I have it flatter now, less arched, and tried the pad under once, but I still prefer the original setup.

I tried pad under once and my oldest heating pad has a bald spot to show for it. It might have been different had I not put it fuzzy side down.
Exactly what brand and model pad did this happen with?
Pic of damaged pad would be of great help.
Was 'bald spot' where pad touched chicks or the rack?

That shocks me! The heating pad should never get that warm. The cover has slipped off mine and they were laying directly on the pad and that’s never happened. Wow.

Exactly what brand and model pad did this happen with?
Pic of damaged pad would be of great help.
Was 'bald spot' where pad touched chicks or the rack?

It’s the Sunbeam XL but it’s not heat damage (thankfully).

Its a spot from being picked by the chicks not from heat of the pad. My original setup allowed for 1-2 inches exposed for the plug to flex 90 degrees. When inverted so that the chicks would have the green fuzzy side next to them instead of the wire hardware cloth, that part hung down in front of the chicks instead of up. Once I saw what they were doing I reverted back to the original setup. It was a short lived experiment without any shocking results.

CD6C91A5-20CE-44D3-9BF4-B52B88EC92DE.jpeg
Here’s the pad. It’s just a small spot but too close to the plug for comfort. This is my oldest pad you can see where it used to bend in the original frame. The new caves and the newest flat version allow for that to remain flat.

*I'm looking at the new flat version and it bends up just like it used to. :th

** just got a call from Murray McMurray. Their hatch can’t fill the orders so I’m bumped to next week.

Attachments

• 7E833497-B819-4C91-AAAE-71B586EC2E50.jpeg
    7E833497-B819-4C91-AAAE-71B586EC2E50.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 731F9E54-91DC-4CA2-876C-B4A98B94EA2C.jpeg
    731F9E54-91DC-4CA2-876C-B4A98B94EA2C.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
View attachment 1808405 Here’s the pad. It’s just a small spot but too close to the plug for comfort. This is my oldest pad you can see where it used to bend in the original frame. The new caves and the newest flat version allow for that to remain flat.

*I'm looking at the new flat version and it bends up just like it used to. :th

** just got a call from Murray McMurray. Their hatch can’t fill the orders so I’m bumped to next week.
I put the whole thing in a small travel size zipper pillow case, with the cord running out the zipper... bungie it up so it doesn't sag, throw a towel over the top. so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom