Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

What a monster thread! I've been searching through for info on other sorts of heat mats, as it is really hard to find affordable therapeutic heat pads with a diasableable auto off here (Australia). I wonder if it's a safety standard thing.

Anyway, found this very cheap reptile mat, with temp control. I've searched the thread, and as far as I can find there's a few people who have used reptile mats, and no-one seems to be screaming about how they don't work and are a dangerous disaster, but there also isn't a lot of positive feedback. Does the brains trust think I'll be ok? I'm terrified of killing my first chicks in a few weeks.

What a monster thread! I've been searching through for info on other sorts of heat mats, as it is really hard to find affordable therapeutic heat pads with a diasableable auto off here (Australia). I wonder if it's a safety standard thing.

Anyway, found this very cheap reptile mat, with temp control. I've searched the thread, and as far as I can find there's a few people who have used reptile mats, and no-one seems to be screaming about how they don't work and are a dangerous disaster, but there also isn't a lot of positive feedback. Does the brains trust think I'll be ok? I'm terrified of killing my first chicks in a few weeks.
If temp is truly controllable, should be fine.
Largest available is not very big(28x28)
How do you plan on mounting it...and how many chicks will it serve?

Only 6 😊

I think I will decide on mounting once I have it in my hands, and I'll make sure to update with photos if/when I have some comfy chicks nestled under it
6 should be OK, hopefully they outgrow needing heat around the same time the outgrow the pad space.
In hand is always good. :D
I'd test it with an infrared temp gauge to check surface temp range.
I'd strongly suggest you mount it flat overhead with adjustable legs for the best space efficiency. The covering on top will allow for more 'heating' space as the grow.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/
1601037808187.png

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Use the "standard" method of deciding how high to turn it up -
Chicks won't come out, too cold
Chicks won't go in, too hot
Chicks come and go, just right

aart has a good suggestion to check the surface temp of the pad. From the description it seems it will go to 35°C (95°F) which should be fine.

I have great success to report! 6 very happy chicks under their reptile heater. I used a cake rack with bolts for legs, encased the whole thing in a pillowcase to hold it together with holes for the bolts to go through. At the last minute I added some tea towels because I noticed that the reptile heater got pretty warm when turned up (55c), it lost all that hear as soon as something touched it and dropped right down to about 30c - not enough power if the heat had an escape route

Attachments

• 16024502002083293638207270583721.jpg
    16024502002083293638207270583721.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 26

Back
Top Bottom