Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Do you keep the back of the cave "open" (just covered with the flap, but not blocked with anything solid) so they don't cram in there and suffocate each other?

I'm thinking I'll just have the towel draped down to the ground to keep the heat sealed in, but they can also escape out the back if needed?
I keep two sides (front & back) open but I know that a lot of people keep all 4 sides open. The chicks need to be able to touch the pad with their backs.

Do you keep the back of the cave "open" (just covered with the flap, but not blocked with anything solid) so they don't cram in there and suffocate each other?

I'm thinking I'll just have the towel draped down to the ground to keep the heat sealed in, but they can also escape out the back if needed?
I have done that. No problems

I only had two chicks the first time I tried this last month. I actually kept 3 sides closed so it was like a true cave... My chicks had no problems at all.

I have 10 eggs in the incubator now and expect them to hatch this weekend. I'm doing the MHP again. Haven't decided if I will leave the back open or not.... I'd be interested to know if anyone had bad results from keeping the back closed? If so, how many chicks did you have and in what size space?

I think the more chicks, the more important it is to have multiple ways out in case they all pile in. I had one side all the way open, the back up against the wall (because of space constraints), and the other two sides draped about 1/2 way to the floor with just lightweight fabric. I used an old tshirt as a cover for the whole thing.

The chicks need to be able to touch the pad with their backs.
This^^^ is how it works.

I have 10 eggs in the incubator now and expect them to hatch this weekend. I'm doing the MHP again. Haven't decided if I will leave the back open or not.... I'd be interested to know if anyone had bad results from keeping the back closed? If so, how many chicks did you have and in what size space?
If there is no breeze there is no need to have anything hanging down.
Leave all sides, or at least sides open.

How big is your plate?
Where is your brooder?
I had 16 chicks under a 12x24 pad, just barely kept them until 6 weeks.

I think the more chicks, the more important it is to have multiple ways out in case they all pile in.
Absolutely!

I only had two chicks the first time I tried this last month. I actually kept 3 sides closed so it was like a true cave... My chicks had no problems at all.

I've got 34 total coming in between March 19-30, so I'm going to err on the side of caution and definitely keep at least 2 sides open (I will have 2 separate mama heating pads set up) but maybe 10 you might be able to get away with it? I know I've thought that if I was only getting like 4 or 6 of them, I might keep it closed in back like a true cave.

I think the more chicks, the more important it is to have multiple ways out in case they all pile in. I had one side all the way open, the back up against the wall (because of space constraints), and the other two sides draped about 1/2 way to the floor with just lightweight fabric. I used an old tshirt as a cover for the whole thing.
This sounds like a great way to go!

This^^^ is how it works.

If there is no breeze there is no need to have anything hanging down.
Leave all sides, or at least sides open.

How big is your plate?
Where is your brooder?
I had 16 chicks under a 12x24 pad, just barely kept them until 6 weeks.

Absolutely!
I have 2 mama heating pads that I will set up for 34 chicks. The heating pads are 12x24 each. I'll have them set up relatively close to one another. After reading these responses I think I'll have all 4 sides open with both mama set-ups. I will be brooding them outdoors in my existing chicken run (4' x 13') and we will have plastic sheeting up on all walls of the run so that the wind doesn't get in.

The chicks will be hatched on the 17th, 24th and 29th - thinking I'll have one heating pad a little higher and the other one a little lower so that the different ages can get what they need - hoping that will work?

We are selling our current flock this week as a starter flock, so there won't be any "big girls" around to integrate them with.

Thank you so much for your response!

Edited to add:
Our plan is to try and make 2 heating pads work. Obviously if it's not enough, we'll get another :) Also, I am planning on having the front of the mama setup higher and the back lower so that the different ages can all get what they need.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom