Mama hen eating only starter chick food ok?

emimiller8

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Central Coast, CA
My mama hen is raising the chicks separate from the rest of the flock in the guest bedroom of our house. I was told that it is ok to just feed her the chick food. I have noticed the her comb and waddle are starting to fade from the bright red, should I be concerned? If so what should I do. I took her away from the chicks and put with the flock for about 5 min today and she was freaking out and so were the chicks. Do I need to get her back on her laying feed? Please help. Thanks

Chick starter also has way more protein than she needs....do not separate her from the chicks....I'm not an expert on how to feed mama hens that are brooding, but if it were me I would give her a dish of her normal food, but see if you can raise it higher so the chicks can't get at it. See if she will default back to her own food.

LAYER FEED, 18 weeks and older (The Big Girls)
Layer feed is available in mash, crumble or pellet forms, all of which describe the size of the feed; mash is the smallest, pellets, the largest. Layer feed contains 16-18% protein plus added calcium that is required for eggshell production. Laying hens can be fed layer ration as early as 18 weeks or as late as the arrival of their first egg, but should not be fed to birds younger than 18 weeks old.
While layer feed contains calcium, an additional source of calcium, such as crushed oyster shells or clean eggshells, should be made available in a separate dish, apart from the feed. All laying hens have different calcium requirements and will consume as much calcium as they need. Oyster shells should never be added directly to feed as excess calcium can be detrimental to those not requiring as much.
Hens deprived of adequate amounts of calcium will begin utilizing the calcium stored within their own bones to produce eggshells.

I am not sure about why she is losing colour - my chicks are only 18 days old but I do know that the adults need the layer feed to give them the extra stuff chicks don't need yet. If you have her seperate from other hens and with her babies - maybe make her layer feed higher up so it is just her that can reach it and not the chicks.

My mama hen is raising the chicks separate from the rest of the flock in the guest bedroom of our house. I was told that it is ok to just feed her the chick food. I have noticed the her comb and waddle are starting to fade from the bright red, should I be concerned? If so what should I do. I took her away from the chicks and put with the flock for about 5 min today and she was freaking out and so were the chicks. Do I need to get her back on her laying feed? Please help. Thanks

Mama hens comb and waddle are typically pale and shriveled d/t days of brooding (it takes its toll on the hen, dont worry she will recover) and NO do not put out layer feed even in an uphigh feeder for Mama-- she will peck it out and feed it to her babies, the high levels of calcium can be toxic to them-- Just keep with the starter chick food and put out a bowl of oyster shell for Mama (the chicks tend to leave that alone)--
also you can also feed Flock raiser (an all purpose feed) crumble after chicks are about a week old or so....
Also I would not worry about the protein in starter feed for the hen-- we have Jersey Giants and feed about 50% Gamebird starter (it is 24% protein) and 50% all purpose poultry feed (its 20% protein) and starter is typically about 18% protein-- your birds will be fine, also the broody probably could use the extra protein given that she is depleted right now....

Last edited:
I have 6 laying hens, 5 x 8 week olds and 10 x 2 week old chicks with their mom. I have been putting chick crumb in with the little ones, growers for the middle sized ones and layers pellets for the older ones BUT now I am letting them out of their pens to free-range together. Should I leave the 3 different types of feed out and let them choose or should I only put out chick crumb or growers? Or maybe I should just keep them separate for a bit longer but they all seem so much happier free ranging!

Quote: Hi,
I agree, staggered hatches do present a feeding challenge. I am going thru this with my Light Sussex. Using Purina Start and Grow Medicated Crumbles and Southern States feeds. I had a hen brood alone in a coop in Feb. She raised them alone. I checked to make sure it would be ok for the hen, and fed Purina Start and Grow Medicated Crumbles chick feed to both her and the 4 chicks. She has done just fine. They were hatched Feb. 23rd. ( now the chicks are 16 weeks old) . Last week I put both her and the chicks on Southern States Breeder and Layer. My 16 week old chicks thru adults have done fine on it.
I also have Light Sussex chicks hatched April 1st, 15th and 28th. They all started out on Purina Start and Grow. When the youngest of the chicks reach 8 weeks old, they are all getting All Grain Meat Maker. ( This feed {AGMM} is also good for birth thru butchering). Now I don't intend on butchering them. So when the youngest reach 16 weeks, I will switch them to All Grain Breeder/Layer and they will stay on that for the rest their lives.
It is kind of a poultry feed ballet, I think the trick is not to worry about the hen eating chick feed. I didn't worry about calcium for the hen because she wasn't laying anyway while she was raising the chicks. I do give Poultry Nutri-Drench in the water for the 1st 2 weeks of life for the chicks. Mama hen gets to drink it too. http://www.bovidr.com/poultry.html
Then with the hen alone with her chicks, there is the 8 week mark. The "what do I feed them now? moment. They have been getting Purina Medicated Start and Grow for the last 2 months. They can stay on it for another 2 months, no problem. I would have done that if it had been all chicks and no hen. However, I decided to pull Mama hen off the medicated feed and onto something for all ages. The chicks were old enough to move to an all-ages non-medicated feed, so I put them all on Meat Maker till it is time to move them to Breeder /Layer for the rest of their lives.
Now Southern States doesn't make a medicated chick feed that I can find. I like to use one so I start my chicks on Purina Start and Grow Medicated Chick Feed (crumbles).

http://www.lumber2.com/Start-and-Grow-Medicated-Chick-Feed-p/pm0038552.htm

Southern States poultry feeds:
Small and Specialty Poultry Flocks Feeding Guide
Southern States All Grain Start-N-Grow 25lb
Southern States All Grain Start-N-Grow is an all natural 18% protein feed for growing chicks. This feed has added vitamins, minerals and amino acids for growth, muscle and feather development. Southern States All Grain Start-N-Grow is free of antibiotics but does incorporate a pro-biotic which optimizes feed digestion and overall health in a natural way. This feed includes marigold extract for a bright, healthy skin and plumage.
http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-9710-southern-states-all-grain-start-n-grow-25lb.aspx
Southern States All Grain Meat Bird Maker 50lb
When you need to put the pounds on your meat-producing poultry, use Southern States All Grain Meat Bird Maker. 20% crude protein ensures developing chickens and other specialty fowl grow healthy plumage and hefty weight. Southern States All Grain Meat Bird Maker is the best choice when you're raising chickens and poultry destined for the dinner table.
http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-9950-southern-states-all-grain-meat-bird-maker-50lb.aspx
Southern States Layer & Breeder Crumbles 50lb
Southern States Layer & Breeder Crumbles is a complete vegetarian feed that is ideal for brown and white egg layers and breeders. Featuring a blend of all natural ingredients with added vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, this formula contains Primalac, a direct fed microbial, which improves feed efficiency and boosts the immune system. Support the hen's natural genetic ability for egg size, egg numbers, feathering body condition and shell quality with Southern States Layer & Breeder Crumbles - available in a 50lb bag for free choice feeding.
http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4724-southern-states-layer-breeder-crumbles-50lb.aspx
Best Regards,
Karen
Waterford English Light Sussex
in western PA, USA

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom