Mama hen killed baby that was bit by dog!?!!

BubbaBubbles

Songster
May 14, 2023
Virginia
Some of you may remember Daisy, the chick I rehabilitated. Sadly, she was killed yesterday after an attempt to reunite her with her mother, Truffles. Truffles acted so excited and happy when she saw Daisy... But then suddenly, I found her in the pen dead. Her face was mutilated and her wings had scars from being pecked and pulled on. I've been feeling so sick since it happened and so guilty. Today, Truffles has started stepping all over ANOTHER chick even though it's never been hurt. My scent has never bothered this hen, either. She and her roo Trifle know who I am and get so excited to see me. It's so strange, I don't understand. I know this is how nature is but I really want to prevent this from happening again. So far I don't think she's hurt this other chick? Trifle (roo) steps on him sometimes but it's usually accidental since he is pretty big. Other than that, they're well taken care of by both parents. But I haven't seen any pecking or neglect, other than sometimes finding this chick by itself. Daisy was pitiful back when she was first rejected after the attack. She couldn't follow them anywhere and while Trifle was concerned, Truffles just wanted her out. Which is when I began rehabilitating her. She had fully healed, I bathed her so she no longer had the scent of dog or medicine on her. But she still killed her. I've already decided she won't be having any more chicks and any eggs she lays will get collected, no questions asked.

How long were they separated? She might not have recognized the chick has her own. It takes as little as 2 days. It's common that they attack strange birds.
She'd likely be fine momma as long as she doesn't forget her chicks.
It was about a week for Daisy to heal completely. I waited until the wound closed up so her siblings wouldn't pick it. She seemed very happy and started feeding her worms and such when I reintroduced them. So, I thought she recognized her. Unless it's because Daisy did look a tad different since the ointment did leave a little blue stain against her wing but even bathing her didn't get it out for some reason.

It was about a week for Daisy to heal completely. I waited until the wound closed up so her siblings wouldn't pick it. She seemed very happy and started feeding her worms and such when I reintroduced them. So, I thought she recognized her. Unless it's because Daisy did look a tad different since the ointment did leave a little blue stain against her wing but even bathing her didn't get it out for some reason.
She didn't recognize the chick, it was too long. Nothing to do with the medicine, it's not your fault

Back
Top Bottom