Mama Hen Mites Not Watching Chicks

GibsonFamilyFarm

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2018
SFV
Hey everyone! I’m a little lost as to what to do about this situation. I have a Mama hen who hatched 3 babies. On the day of hatch I noticed she had mites. After the babies were dry the next day I gave Mama a bath and blow dry. I don’t have any treatment since it’s on the way in the mail and there was nothing local. So a bath was all I could do.
I didn’t notice and still haven’t seen the mites on the chicks. I believe they are red mites. They are on Mamas comb and around her face.
We had a head wave so Mama and the chicks came inside for two days. She wasn’t looking good. Luckily the two days in made her look a lot better. Upon returning them to their coop/run Mama was chatting with them, digging around but never showed them food or water. Then she wanted to go into the coop. She didn’t wait for the chicks and left them outside. They were calling and calling for her. All she wanted to do was sit in a nesting box.
I put the chicks with her and now I’m here. Should I take them from her? She’s done well with them until this point. I really don’t want to lose the chicks. Their crying was so sad without her but I don’t want her to do that again.
So please does anyone have any advice?

My advice would be to get rid of the mites first. Have you cleaned out the nest box? Or are you waiting for the product to arrive? She might not be taking care of the chicks as well as she could because of the mites.

My advice would be to get rid of the mites first. Have you cleaned out the nest box? Or are you waiting for the product to arrive? She might not be taking care of the chicks as well as she could because of the mites.
Thank you for your response. It just came in the mail today. I ended up taking the chicks from her so she and the chicks would be ok.
Just from being able to dust bathe and take care of just herself she’s doing much better. She will be treated tomorrow.

Glad to hear she’s doing better. If you have any other chickens you’ll want to treat them too. And treat the coop and nest boxes as well. You might already know this but in case you don’t… there it is. 😊

Back
Top Bottom