Mama Hen Not Sure About Taking Back Chicks After Mite Bath

Trycja

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2023
Hi! New to everything. My broody hen got red roost mites. I was unable to completely eliminate while she was sitting and by hatch day she was pretty chewed up. I was worried about the chicks so I removed them as they hatched and bathed/dried them. Eggs started hatching on a Friday, continued through Saturday and by Sunday it was clear the remaining 3 weren't going to hatch so I bathed the broody, blow dried and gave her a night to rest. Her belly had been covered in scabs and I wanted to let them heal a bit. Early the next morning I brought the eight chicks back to broody and she made mean noises (I think?), then pecked one or two on the head in a harsh manner (to me). I tried again later with the lights off and just two chicks. This is my first broody and her first time and of course the chicks are new so everyone was confused. I encouraged the chicks to go to the broody and she didn't peck them as much, she seemed to look them in the eyes instead, and eventually they got under her. I brought three more and repeated the process successfully. I brought the last three and that seemed to overwhelm her and everyone got agitated. But with lots of encouragement and herding from me I got all the chicks under her and she sat. I came back a short while later and she got up to eat. The chicks did too and they were zooming around. But then it fell apart. After eating and drinking the broody wanted to preen and do her thing and pecked any chick that tried to come back to her, sometimes repeatedly. I tried to coax them back into harmony but gave up and removed the chicks after they were cold for too long. Should I try again doing something differently? I'm sure I did many things wrong and the broody is new to this as well. Or is this a lost cause and they are too old now that it's been five days since the first chicks hatched?

It doesn't sound like she's going to accept them as you sure have tried. I would be so afraid of leaving her alone with them that you'd come back to find she killed them. Five days I've done before but these are silkies, and they just want every excuse to be broody. You could try how you did it again but I would do it during the day as I think that'd be easier for you to keep an eye on things.

If she doesn't, I guess you're the mom. That can be fun too!

Thank you for the reply. I have read some of the horror stories on other chick threads here so have been proceeding very cautiously. I think early morning is the best time to attempt while the hen is still sleepy but can continue to be monitored. For anyone else reading this later: I learned it can help if the hen can hear/feel but not see the chicks at first, so I believe I had too big of a space during the introduction attempts, allowing the chicks to run around too much, which put off the hen. Less space would also mean more chances to just end up under the hen instead of cold in a corner. I feel like I owe it one more try but also that the window of opportunity has likely passed.

In hindsight, I should have treated the mites much more aggressively from the start to prevent this situation altogether. I was too afraid to interrupt the sitting process too much or use anything too extreme, but now I also know that broody hens are at most risk from mites and to worry more about them than the eggs.

Mistakes were made, and I think I'm on a crash "live and learn" course.

Seems like I will be figuring out a whole secondary housing situation for an adolescent flock as we are heading into winter. That was not the plan, but the chicks sure are adorable. And everyone is alive and healthy so can't complain.

Thanks, again.

UPDATE: I tried to release Thelma (broody) to the rest of the flock when they came by her maternity/recovery ward today. She wasn't having it. Growled at a bully hen, tolerated her twin sister (who has been missing her), and went right back into her solo space. So seems she's not totally over it? Going to try reuniting the fam again I guess ...

If she is sitting still, then how about confining her to a broody box for a day with eggs under her. Get her back in the sitting and hatching mindset. Then swap the eggs for the chicks very slowly, over a few hours and she might then switch her hormones to baby raising.

Just an idea.

She's not exactly sitting still, her poops are back to normal also ... but I will try this idea. Can't hurt :D Thank you for the suggestion!

Thank you for the reply. I have read some of the horror stories on other chick threads here so have been proceeding very cautiously. I think early morning is the best time to attempt while the hen is still sleepy but can continue to be monitored. For anyone else reading this later: I learned it can help if the hen can hear/feel but not see the chicks at first, so I believe I had too big of a space during the introduction attempts, allowing the chicks to run around too much, which put off the hen. Less space would also mean more chances to just end up under the hen instead of cold in a corner. I feel like I owe it one more try but also that the window of opportunity has likely passed.

In hindsight, I should have treated the mites much more aggressively from the start to prevent this situation altogether. I was too afraid to interrupt the sitting process too much or use anything too extreme, but now I also know that broody hens are at most risk from mites and to worry more about them than the eggs.

Mistakes were made, and I think I'm on a crash "live and learn" course.

Seems like I will be figuring out a whole secondary housing situation for an adolescent flock as we are heading into winter. That was not the plan, but the chicks sure are adorable. And everyone is alive and healthy so can't complain.

Thanks, again.
I can understand the apprehension to treat for mites while a hen is sitting on eggs but now you know and don't knock yourself up about it as we all learn as we go.

I'd have just sprinkled a little food-grade DE (diatomaceous powder) or First Sat. Lime around and under the hen. Those won't absorb into the eggs and are all natural. They also won't help much with a full-blown infestation, but the former would start killing, while the latter might get them to leave and move somewhere else where you can use something stronger.

As for a secondary housing, or temp coop, if you have nothing yet: if you have or can get or make something like a medium to small wooden doghouse or rabbit hutch or some type of wooden box with an opening for them to get in it, and a secure pen to put it in so you can let them out on nice days into the pen, that might work. If you build it, make sure you make it so you can lift the top off for easier cleaning and putting a heater in/out. They make a Cozy Coop heater that's like a flat panel TV that is very safe and won't burn the chicks you could put in the back of the wooden box. We actually did this same thing this spring when we had chicks that could go outside with a little heat, but were too young to free-range and would get picked on by the older chickens. They are now 4-months old, still living in that arrangement, but soon winter is coming so I've got to get them acclimated to the main coop.

I can understand the apprehension to treat for mites while a hen is sitting on eggs but now you know and don't knock yourself up about it as we all learn as we go.

I'd have just sprinkled a little food-grade DE (diatomaceous powder) or First Sat. Lime around and under the hen. Those won't absorb into the eggs and are all natural. They also won't help much with a full-blown infestation, but the former would start killing, while the latter might get them to leave and move somewhere else where you can use something stronger.

As for a secondary housing, or temp coop, if you have nothing yet: if you have or can get or make something like a medium to small wooden doghouse or rabbit hutch or some type of wooden box with an opening for them to get in it, and a secure pen to put it in so you can let them out on nice days into the pen, that might work. If you build it, make sure you make it so you can lift the top off for easier cleaning and putting a heater in/out. They make a Cozy Coop heater that's like a flat panel TV that is very safe and won't burn the chicks you could put in the back of the wooden box. We actually did this same thing this spring when we had chicks that could go outside with a little heat, but were too young to free-range and would get picked on by the older chickens. They are now 4-months old, still living in that arrangement, but soon winter is coming so I've got to get them acclimated to the main coop.

I very much appreciate your kind words and advice.

I had read some conflicting info about DE but I would totally try it now. And I had not heard of First Sat. Lime before. Sounds promising.

I have a panel that I'm currently using as the brooder that can also serve as a heater - it's great! I had been thinking about spot using it this winter for my ousted secondary roo that overnights alone in a dog kennel. It's a plastic kennel though so I need a sturdier option for him, too. Wood, like your say. What are the chances I could get my ousted roo to raise the chicks and they can all keep each other warm? ;)

Good luck getting the 4-month-olds acclimated to the main coop!

I very much appreciate your kind words and advice.

I had read some conflicting info about DE but I would totally try it now. And I had not heard of First Sat. Lime before. Sounds promising.

I have a panel that I'm currently using as the brooder that can also serve as a heater - it's great! I had been thinking about spot using it this winter for my ousted secondary roo that overnights alone in a dog kennel. It's a plastic kennel though so I need a sturdier option for him, too. Wood, like your say. What are the chances I could get my ousted roo to raise the chicks and they can all keep each other warm? ;)

Good luck getting the 4-month-olds acclimated to the main coop!
I went from DE to 1st Sat., and back to DE again. The 1st Sat we used more for the swampy areas in the spring as it kills mosquito larvae but doesn't hurt the frogs, fish, etc.

With the DE, just be sure it's food grade, and don't throw it in the air. I use an old parmesan cheese container and sprinkle it everywhere in the coop and dust baths and do it when the chickens aren't in the coop. In 7 years, we've never had a mite.

Back
Top Bottom